Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Improving dash & switches

Thanks Jon
    It hadn't occurred to me that the previous owner might have made that fundemental error. I'll certainly check that out.

While I think of it, on another lighting issue, when I flick up/down the dip/main beam headlight stalk the bulbs appear to take milli-seconds to light up. The main beam has spot-lights on the same circuit, which could conceivably account for this. However, when flicking back to dip beam, the 2 headlamp bulbs still appear to take a fraction longer than I would expect to light up. I did wonder whether the alternator/battery was coping, but no obvious problems in that direction have been experienced so far. I can't imagine the same idea as with the dashboard lights could be the reason. The headlamp bulbs are Halogen, but compared to my regular car, they do not look so white as I would expect. Could this be a duff wiring/earthing problem?

Cheers
    Mike

Comment

It might be worth checking the relay. I had one that was "sticking" a while back and this caused a similar problem, then it stopped working altogether and left me driving in the dark :-(

Comment

Hi Mike.

As Gary says, check out the relay. There's a rat's nest of wires landing on it, and mine had developed bad connections on a few of the push-on terminals. Also listen for the 'click' as you flick your switch, and try and determine whether there is a delay in the actual relay - I bet this won't be easy tho'!

I fitted a halogen conversion kit (consisting of bowls with glass and separate bulbs) over a year ago to replace the old sealed-beam units the car came with. The transformation was pretty dramatic but, to be honest, still can't match the powerful lamps of modern cars - even our Zafira!

Comment

Oh, as to it possibly having been wired in series - I would doubt that very much indeed. For a start, the lamps would be VERY feeble - really obvious - and he'd have had to really butcher the wiring for it to happen!

It's possible that Jon's original wiring had been done that way deliberately so's to dim the dash lights - perhaps the original owner wanted them that way?!

Comment

On the subject of bending stalks, how does one bend them without causing damage? I have just removed the pair on the right, controlling wiper and lighting actions. Cutting the wiper stalk is not an option, as the washer would stop working! If this was the only problem, I suppose I could fit a button on my future dash layout. My main concern is to not put excessive force on the switch mechanism, and end up with a u/s switch. A previous owner bent the indicator stalk 90 degrees successfully, and retained the black plastic sleeving. How did he do that?
            Cheers
            Mike

Comment

I used a brake pipe bending tool. It is very gentle on the pipes etc.
              Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Thanks Dane. Following your suggestion, I took the plunge and ordered up a tool via eBay. Total expenditure was less than a tenner.

Originally, I thought I would get rid of the large hole and cut-out in the dash, but apart from junking the Cortina steering column in favour of Sierra, the only alternative was to change stalks for dashboard-mounted switches & buttons. First the relatively high cost, then the need for serious re-wiring with likely problems of getting it wrong, or doing handstands under the dash. I thought I would have a go at bending all stalks, and keeping holes down to a minimum size in the new dash. Worth a try anyway.

Cheers
                Mike

Comment

Hi Mike.

You're right - bending the stalks too sharply are likely to cause the push buttons at the ends to stop working! Surprisingly, these aren't actual switches at the ends of the stalk, but instead the 'buttons' push a cable lying inside the stalk which then closes a switch which is located inside the main unit. Weird!

When I got my Berli a couple of years ago, whoever had 'modified' the indicator stalk by bending it up to pass through the yonking hole in the dash, had also chopped the end of the button and smoothed it over - hence no horn button there. Instead, a new nasty little horn-push jobbie was placed at exactly the right position to be operated by my left knee at all the most inappropriate moments, such as when changing gear on the approach to a junction...

So, I needed a new dash-mounted horn push in any case. I'll also need a separate wash switch when/if I also modify my wiper stalk the same way.

My new dash panel has just received it's 6th coat of varnish over a convincing burr-wood film. Getting there...

slowly.

Comment

Working...
                  X