Marlin Roadster - Newbie - Clutch Slave Cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlin Roadster - Newbie - Clutch Slave Cylinder

Hello all, I am new to this Owners Club and WILL BE JOINING , just have not had a chance yet. I have owned a 1993 registered Q Plate Mk3 SWB Roadster for just over 6 months. It was built by Paul Adams locally and has covered 2600 miles in the past 14 years. The majority of its life has been dormant in a heated garage. I purchased 'Monte' from Paul in May 2007 after 9 years of no use. It sailed through its MOT after a few minor hoses etc and it a pleasure to drive. It is Ital/Marina based with a 1380 Stage 2 Minisport Engine developing 130 bhp. From memory the VIN is 1429, but I will need to confirm that.

I would welcome contact from others in Dorset as I never see any other Marlins around

In the mean time, I believe my clutch slave cylinder has failed, it is I understand the Ital type which slips into a ring on the gearbox and secures with a clip, where can I get one ? Much appreciated if you can help !

Re: Marlin Roadster - Newbie - Clutch Slave Cylinder

Hi Brian

Glad to see you are a newbie! Welcome to the Club (OK, I know you're not a member yet but welcome anyway!). You'll soon get some replies about your car. Hope to see you at an event or two.

Cheers

Comment

Hello Brian and welcome to the MOC. Firstly, try Powertrack Ltd of Windsor - 01753 842680 - or www.powertrackbrakes.co.uk The chap's name is Paul and is very knowledgable about these items. Mention the Marlin Owners Club as one or two of us have bought these cylinders from him recently. Secondly, the pic. is black all over, but I suppose you know that already. 130 BHP is a hell of a lot of poke for an A-series engine, are sure about that? Keep in touch!
      Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Apologies, getting carried away. 105 Bhp. Goes like a rocket and will willingly rev up to 7K, but I do not as I do not want to break it ! I will give Power track a ring on Monday. Paul who built it opted for the 1380 over the 1800cc MGB Engine as the power to weight ratio was far better. All said and done though I treat it kindly and it is rarely used in that respect. Minisport still produce this engine but at £1914 it is rather pricey. Give me your email address and I'll send some pics, I tried to upload twice ?

Comment

Okay.... after messing for ages to try and get the old cylinder out I gave up and wanted to make sure there was not a problem with the clutch movement. With the aid of a bar I managed to check their was weight and movement , which there is. The slave cylinder is moving the clutch arm, about 1" approx although now the clutch is making a nasty rasping noise when depressed. This would suggest that the cylinder is doing its job and there is a bigger problem present. Although I would be surprised as I drove the car into where it is about 4 weeks ago after a good run out with no problems at all. Any ideas ? It simply will not let me select any gears. I have tried starting in gear to make sure nothing is siezed and it just moves on the starter.

Comment

Brian
            Can't help wondering if you have dislodged the operating arm from its fulcrum pin whilst prising with bar.There is only a small mention of it in Haynes manual and no picture[in my copy]so unless your familair with the layout can be easily overlooked on assembly or dislodged as it consists of a fairly crude spring clip.Removing the slave cylinder is a bit of a knack but essentially the 'flat' on the cylinder needs to face the bell housing , then with the operating arm pushed rearwards and the piston rod pushed into the cylinder to disengage it from the operating arm the cylinder can be withdrawn

Comment

That's more like it - 105bhp. That is as much as you could expect for areliable usable power from an A-series donkey. Mine has got about 65 and I think that makes it quite pokey, well pokey enough for me anyway. I think this engine is the best one for a Marlin Roadster which is a small car. It is light, easy to work on and doesn't give any overheating problems like the bigger engines often suffer from. Put some pics of car and engine on the forum.
              Franklin, Leicester

Comment

When I had a Marina engine and gearbox in my marlin I had a similar problem even after fitting a new clutch. I made a new slave cylinder push rod about 1/4 inch longer from an old punch (forcing it in for firm fit) and it help take up any slack and it worked for the rest of the life of the clutch untill I changed the unit to a Ford engine & gearbox.Make sure the sustem is bled ok.if you select a gear with the foot down on the clutch then start the the car does it want to drive ? and can you hold it back on the brakes ? if so then slowly release the clutch peddle untill it takes up more bite/drive then push your clutch down again and does it stop dragging ? if no then it could be your cltch is worn, flywheel spigot bearing has picked up on the g/box input shaft. But I would try the slave cyl longer rod first.

Comment

Bob, valuable advise and i am very appreciative. I have bled the system this afternoon after struggling for two days to get the bleed nipple undone, This has a second bleed nipple on the top of the block which leads from the output nipple on the cylinder, is this normal ? There does not seem to be any air in the system now. There is definatley fluid around the end of the cylinder so I think I will replace this anyway and then get a new rod made up (fortunately I work for a metals distributor)

In answer to your questions, if started in gear with the clutch down it takes up drive as if the clutch were not depressed. Although I suspect I could hold on the brakes I suspect the engine would just not turn. You can clearly see the actuation arm move when the clutch is depressed but I do not know if it moving far enough,

I have video'd it and will place it online later, I will post the link. Also when the clutch is depressed load is placed on the engine (tic-over goes down) and I can see the occasional spark out of the whole where the lever enters the gearbox (also a nasty rasping sound) this is also on the video. Sorry... its a long story but your help is appreciated. I will post the link later this evening.

Before I forget, Happy New Year to All !

Comment

It sounds like your thrust bearing has seized up and gone through you clutch cover fingers if you are getting sparks and very raspy noise. A job for tomorrow to remove the gearbox and replace the clutch !!!!, keep off the drink tonight ??
                    cheers.........Bob

Comment

Worryingly your response made me laugh Bob, just to ensure that you still agree please see the videos now embedded on my newly created Marlin page.....

http://www.fourpawsagilityclub.co.uk/marlin.html

The videos are at the bottom, you may have to install a flash player but this is normally part of windows. Let me know what you think.

Comment

Sorry Bob but I feel compelled to comment on the use of a longer rod. Isn't the end result a bit like using the clutch pedal as a footrest? If it doesn't work correctly with the standard fitment then logically there has to be a problem somewhere mechanically/hydraulically.
                        Brian - there should be No evidence of fluid at the end of the cylinder. There is but one seal in the slave cylinder and it is imperative that this is 100% efficient or you will not get full range of movement no matter how many times you bleed the system.
                        Bob may well be right on the 'fireworks' but i do wonder why if all seemed correct beforehand.Gearbox removal seems pretty much on the cards though!

Comment

I am suspecting the gearbox will be coming out too. I will be replacing the slave first though just to make sure. The rasping may settle down as I may have dislodged something whilst messing with it. I have had no previous issue at all and this has come on so I would be surprised at a catastrophic mechanical failure, but seizure looks like a possibility which has caused the rest of the issues... In the mean time food for thought, If I am taking the box out can I consider a 5 speed unit to replace it , and how available / compatible are these ?

Comment

Brian, Yep I have seen the vidios and it looks as though the slave cyl and arm is working ok, but noise is not right !!. if you remove the starter andwith a flexi small mirror and torch see if you can see the clutch cover fingers and thrust bearing, also can you se and metal filings in the clutch housing area. I think you have an internal clutch problem and the only way forward is to remove the gearbox to satisfy your concern.If not done before get the car well off the ground so you can get under easy.The hardest bit is to remove the g/box mount side supports from the tunnel and realining the clutch disc/cover before refitting the gearbox, in all a couple of hours work on a good day.

Comment

My only concern is that I have caused the issue as the noise has only started after I moved the actuation arm manually to make sure it was not seized. I could not select gears and there was no noise, I messed.... now I can still not select gears and the nasty noise and sparks appear. I will take off the starter as suggested and look for obvious signs as noted. I will keep this thread updated as I go forward, although I am back to work tomorrow and any work is subject to the weather. Thanks for everyones help so far, very much appreciated

Comment

Working...
                              X