X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wings and sump clearance

Hi
    Best wishes to all for the New Year.

When bolting the wings to the main body, is a rubber strip required between them or can they be bolted directly to each other.

My sump is only about 6" from the floor when unladen, this seems a bit low! is this the normal sort of distance.(I have a triumph 1300 engine fitted).

Re: Wings and sump clearance

My preference is for using wing piping....as for the sump clearance, mine is currently sitting on the garage floor but I don't remember it having much more than 6" clearance...if it even had that. Mine is 1700 Ital. Must get out to the garage and get on with it...this is definitely the year it gets back on the road !!

Comment

Dave, I think you are refering to Wing Beading, this is used between body parts to disguise the joints, it also gives the car a (finished) look. It comes in all colours and is usually made of a pvc impregnated fabric, tack it to the body with drops of superglue and then offer up the wings and drill through. Usual web search will give up lots of trimmers.
      Phil

Comment

Dave ,I should mention that it stops the panels rubbing together and squeaking when the body is flexing.
        Phil

Comment

Hi Dave, bolt the wings up without the strip first. Then slacken the bolts and offer up the strip marking it where the bolts are. Cut slots in the edge of the strip and slip it between the wing and body pushing the bead down to the join. Retighten the bolts. Attached is the proverbial sketch on the back of an envelope.
          Attached Files

Comment

Oh, and if you have 6" sump clearance your doing well.Mine with a 2L Fiat is just over 5" but unless I'm careless it never touches. Happy New Year.

Comment

My has a Pinto fitted with only 3 1/2" clearance at the sump and has not hit the speed bumps yet compared to my mates Caterham who just can go over them with out catching them.

Comment

My Alfa engined car also has only 3 1/2" sump clearance and hasn't hit anything yet in the 10 years since I put the engine in, although I am fairly cautious when going over the particularly high but narrow little b*****s.

Comment

I have taken the body pannels off mine for a respray and had to cut some of the pannel bolts off, does anyone know where i can get the bolts that are used to hold the outer wings on, it is a MK2 roadster.

Comment

Carl have a look at Stagonset or Namrick websites

Comment

Thanks, these suppliers seem to have them.

Comment

Thanks all. I dont think I'll go to the trouble of fitting a sump guard then. I'll try it and see how it is first.

Comment

Working...
                        X