Rear Breakshoes Slow To Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Breakshoes Slow To Release

Hi, Both rear hubs (marina base) have their breakshoes remain in contact with the drums after break pedal is released. After approx. 1 minute the wheel cylinder piston goes back in, allowing the shoes off the drum. The shoes work fine on just the handbrake. (return springs work OK) With pliers and both hands am just able to squeese the piston back into it's cylinder. (New wheel cylinders fitted and they slide OK on the back plate)
    Front disc pads work OK with easy pressure on break pedal, but to get rear brakes on you have to push pedal harder. (Is this a clue why they do not release easily?) A servo is fitted, but engine on or off makes no difference. It is a single line break pipe circuit, no pressure regulating valve.
    Thanks for any advice. Regards Bob

Re: Rear Breakshoes Slow To Release

I would suspect your flexible hose to the rear axle has started to collapse inside.

Comment

Bob, you have supplied your own answer, sit in the car,pump brake pedal up and down a few times, keep pedal pressed down hard and start the engine. If your servo is working correctly the pedal should go down a little further, if not the servo or the pipe to it from the manifold are suspect, or the gasket between master cylinder and servo. When the shoes are touching undo the bleed screw (pedal released) if fluid squirts out then check the master cylinder, could be time for an overhaul.
      Phil

Comment

I would tend to agree with Hugh - rear hose is collapsing and acting as one way valve

Comment

Hugh and Alan's suggestion is definately the cheapest fix so I would try that before pulling a servo apart as spares for them are like hens teeth.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
          X