Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.9L and M75 gearbox

Hi,
    I am in the process of a complete rebuild of one of my 3 Berlinettas. It is RHD and had up till now a 2 litre pinto engine and a type N manual 5-speed gearbox. I have been offered a low mileage Sierra with a 2.9 litre engine complete with a type M75 manual 5-speed gearbox. There seems to be plenty of room for the engine and the gearbox looks even narrower than the type N. I am a little worried about the mating of the gearbox with the propshaft as the M75 seems to have a large flange that also looks to be too big to go into the transmission tunnel. Before I get started I would like to have some idea of what I am getting myself into.
    My questions to anyone who has experience of this are:
    Did you have any MAJOR problems in fitting this drivetrain? How did you mate the M75 gearbox with the propshaft?
    I am grateful for any advice on this even if it is “just forget it”.
    Thanks from James in sunny Sweden.

Re: 2.9L and M75 gearbox

Hi James
    There is a Ford alternative output flange for this gearbox, as used on Transit vans, and the Ford part number is 6171398. This converts the G.A.F rubber coupling to a standard 4 bolt UJ coupling.
    I have used this part myself on my Ford engined Cabrio so I know it works.
    Sorry but I Can't answer Berli specific questions.

Comment

Thank you Peter.
      It sounds as if the M75 is a possibility and your information with the Ford part number makes my life a lot easier.

Comment

Note that if your Berlinetta is Cortina based, the prop shaft needs to be able to move longitudinally due to suspension movement. The type 9 G/B allows for this by the sliding spline entry for the prop shaft. It would be posible to modify a later two piece prop shaft to allow for this. If your Berli is Sierra based then it will not have this problem.
        Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Thank you Dane,
          Sod's law! - I have a Cortina rear axel. You do in fact had confirm my own thoughts about the back axel movement. I need to take another think about this.

Comment

The Sierra based Roadster takes an M75 attached to a 2.0 DOHC and I am pretty sure that is the same setup Bob Cawte has in his Berlinetta but I don't know what his rear suspension is based on.

Comment

The MT75 gearbox is better than the type 9 BUT fits with a lot of work, YKC told me the gearbox panels have to come out and the floorboards have to be cut to accept the newer larger box - in addition to the problem with the modified propshaft. I thought about this when I fitted my 1.8 Zetec and fitted another type 9 instead.

Comment

Working...
              X