Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoration

Hi everyone would just like to introduce myself and ask a few questions. I have a mark 1 roadster with 2.5 litre tr6 engine. I bought the car to teach myself car mechanics basically as have spent alot of my time working on steam engines and fancied a change and I also wanted to have something more fun to drive than my little renault. I am currently doing a mainly cosmetic restoration but with some other jobs thrown in.

The main question i have is what paint have people used as i am a bit worried about the flexing of the wings. also what supplier they used.

another question is how have people got there spare wheel attached to the boot? i assume it is some sort of re-enforcing plate. on the inside.

I have attempted to enclose some pictures unfortunately they are when i bought it home on and when it was still on the trailer, and forgot to get some others.

Tom
    Attached Files

Re: Restoration

Hi Tom.

I doubt you'll have to worry about using special paint - the wings, etc. are actually very sturdy and well fixed on these cars - far better than most kits. Also, paint is really pretty flexible stuff.

You can, however, expect the odd bit of crazing to appear over the years, and I doubt any paint will prevent this. It usually takes a fairly hefty knock on the wing for this to happen, and the craze will often appear around a fixing point such as the front wing supports - that's where the 'movement' comes to a halt!

You might also find some crazing where stones have been thrown up by the front wheels and hit the underside of the wings - I have a couple like that and can see no other reason for them being there! It might be worth spraying a good thick coat of some sort of under-seal on there to act as a 'shock absorber'.

Fibreglass - and aluminium - will require special primer. As far as top coats are concerned, you takes your choice! I guess 2-pack is the best?

Unless anyone knows if any paint is more flexible than others?

Comment

u was talking to a local paint supplier the other week on this issue. You may need etch primer for the first coat - if you go down to bare metal and strip off the exisitng paint. You can still get cellulose although the number of stock colours is getting less, but you can alos use the new acrylics (one pack). they are a little more expensive than cellulose but give a better shine straight from the gun and are more relient to movement. I would be interested in folowing this thread as Im not too far off the paint stage myself.

Comment

these might help - though these are from a romero.
        Attached Files

Comment

I have sprayed two Marlins using a self etching base coat and you need a mask because its corrosive.This was followed by numerous coats of primer and gloss all in cellulose.
          Spraying old panels is not as easy and you need to make sure those cracks Donnie mentions are dealt with first. Best to get a book on repairing GRP>
          Your car hasnt got a well for the spare but you need to construct the mount to the correct height for the wheel so that it sits on the back without distorting the panel.Some Mk1no door cars mounted the spare on the nearside but that means chopping a large hole in the front wing. Some cars run without a spare.
          Hi Cameron that paint job looks the bizz!
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi Ben - if only it was mine - its a pic Don (from YKC) sent me. But yes - its inspiring!

Comment

Working...
            X