back axle for my roadster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back axle for my roadster

Hi Guys anybody know where there is a spare rear axle for a 1.8 Marina or 1.7 Ital as I think I have killed mine, at least it sounds like a blacksmith killing a flock of birds! thanks for your help. Merv Boston

Re: back axle for my roadster

Hi Merv,
    If the noise is coming from the wheel side of the axle it may be just the wheel bearing, and is fixable. Its also possible you've bent or twisted a half shaft. Is the prop shaft UJ in good condition!!.
    Terry

Comment

Hi Again, the prop shaft is fine, there is some play in the wheel bearings both sides, but most noise is coming from the diff area on the over run,with very distinct hammering sounds, and a continiuos twittering. (i think 155 bhp from the 2l pinto has taken its toll!) Thanks Merv

Comment

Merv
        Sounds like crown wheel and pinion ,happened to my Son with his tuned Pinto, ended up with practically no teeth left at all! Caterham used to say the limit was about 135bhp in their sevens with a marina axle.What they didn't say was whether this was flywheel bhp or at the axle, I've always presumed they meant flywheel as they generally had crossflow motors.A modded [to fit leaf springs] Dolly sprint unit would suit the power better -talk to Lee Hunter on that one!

Comment

Hi Merv,
          If you can get hold of one a Doli sprint axle is the way forward, It is the same PCD and width and all you have to do is cut the coil over platforms off and weld leaf spring platforms on. It also helps to put a panard rod and tramp bars too. I can supply you with photo etc if you like..

Comment

hi Lee, a photo would be appreciated, email to [email protected] please many thans Merv

Comment

Hi Lee, I wouldn;t mind some pics and info too please. Address is axxu49ATdsl.pipex.com Thanks, Hugh.

Comment

Hi Merv/Hugh,
                There are some photos under rear disc conversion on the forum and I will take some at the weekend and get these to you. Forgot to say you also get 10" drums too so it improves the brakes.

Comment

Merv,

I have an old Dolly sprint axle in my garage at the moment which is available to anybody who wants to collect it. I had intended to fit it to my SWB Roadster but it would mean flaring out the transmission tunnel to clear the diff housing. As a result I would need to have the seats further forward which I didn't want to do. The other option would be to cut away some of the webbing on the diff casing to clear the tunnel exit but I had lost interest by then. My engine develops, in theory, about 130bhp at the flywheel so I'm just in the generally recognised max power for the Marina axle. If you have a LWB car there shouldn't be a problem, unless you are about 6'7" tall and need the seats pushed right back.

Comment

Hi Geoff, i would be delighted to take the axle off your hands, either email on the address above, or phone me on 01205460545 so we can make arrangements. many many thanks Merv

Comment

I don't believe it! My rear axle has just gone bang! Lucky I got a spare. Starting to think that the roadster is a dead loss, I cant keep it on the road for any length of time without something going bang!

Don; really pissed off!

Comment

Hi Don,
                        You need to it sorted for the lakes as some of the hills you will be drivin up you can not walk up them........

Comment

I had a rear wheel bearing go on the way back from Scotland.Managed to stroke it home and do the job in my own time.Not helped by being supplied with a dodgy replacement it was a used bearing in a new box. Still trying to get my money back.
                          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Ben you coming up to testyour new wheel bearing ??

Comment

Working...
                            X