Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonnet Fit

Why does my bonnet not fit snugly.

the bonnet rattled so I padded out the closure strips with foam until it stopped but now there is a gap on either vertical side of about 1/2" and the sloping parts of the of the bonnet have gaps [because they are now sitting on foam] of about 1/4".

The hinge is fitted properly in the grooves, in the cowl and windscreen panel. There is no wear in the hinge. The vertical panels however actually touch the inner wing panel [at the bottom] so they are free to move [but not now due to my foam] despite being clamped in two places.

Is it possible I have a non Berlinetta bonnet, or are the bonnets all the same? Is it possible this is the way the car was designed

Re: Bonnet Fit

Hi Roger.

I think - but I'm not quite sure since I didn't build my own Berli - that the bonnets have to be given a final trimming by the builder to make it fit perfectly, especially where it meets the scuttle (the panel below the screen) and the front radiator cowl. So I guess there will be differences in fit quality between cars.

However, what was the fit like on yours before you added the foam? If it was ok, then surely you just need thinner foam?! (Sorry for stating the obvious...)

There is a self-adhesive foam strip just for this job, but it's only around 2mm thick - is this what you've used?

Comment

Hi Roger,
      I have had a similar problem with one of my Berlinettas. It was built by a previous owner and he had mounted the hinge upside down i.e. the hinge was correctly mounted on the front cowl and the scuttle but the knuckles were mounted (pointing downwards) under the bonnet. I have turned it uppwards and now only have a thin rubber strip (article 50-88-1 from Woollies) between the bonnet and the scuttle/cowl and the fit is good.

Comment

Hi James,
        Thanks for your reply and information. I have not had time to check yet but you information makes sense.

Roger

Comment

The bonnet panels were to be trimmed length wise where the hinge is fitted. This pulls up the folded edge which the side panel is hinged to. This side panel is not trimmed in its depyh as both of the edges are folded. These side panels may be trimmed on both ends but not usually reqd.
          If the side panels sit to low at the bottom edge This could have been adjusted by cutting the two bonnet halves length wise before fitting the hinge. The bonnet leading edges and rear scuttle top edges sometimes req a little fettling as well. There is a Berlinetta on EBAY looks as though the owner has been re hanging the bonnet and fitting new hinges to solve this very problem. Final cutting and shaping of these panels was always left to the builder. Some builders felt comfortable doing this others just used as supplied.
          Regards
          Danny.

Comment

Thanks Danny, this seems a very likely solution. However it has also presented me with a lot more work, thanks a lot!

Many thanks Roger Johnson

Comment

Working...
            X