A couple of questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of questions

I did some more work on saturday on the marlin and actually putting it back together now Im gonna admit it i didnt take enough pictures. So i got very confused.

First of all i got really stuck with the wood that goes over the petrol tank behind the seats. I made copies of the old ones and now i have put the tank back in i cant make them fit. after looking at one picture I think i might not have the petrol tank in the right place. Has anybody got any pictures that might help.

Also my clutch problem was really really simple the actual pedal itself had seized. Then i was able to free the master cylinder as that was a bit sticky.

My next job at home is to start the dashboard as i bought some new gauges the other day and in need of some inspiration as i really dont no where to start.

I would just like to say thanks to everyone aswell for all your help i no im asking alot of questions.

Tom

Re: A couple of questions

what about this Tom?

Comment

ok try again....
      Attached Files

Comment

Nice dash, Cameron.

Hi Tom, which dials have you bought? Are they compatible with your car's electrics/speedo? How many clocks do you have to fit?

I'm actually in the process of fitting a new dash to my Berli, so have some idea of what you're going though!

Take your time, look at as many examples as possible, ideally make up a full-sized template (anything from card or hardboard to fibreboard will do) to test your layouts on, and then take a bit more time to think...

Also look at classic Sports cars from the 50's and 60's - some 'E'-types had turned-alloy panels set in a black vinyl dash (or was it wood?). Ideas, ideas, ideas - keep looking!

Things to think about:

(1) Actual shape of dash panel, and whether you'll be fitting a console underneath. Many Roadsters seem to have a 'concave' curve in the middle of the bottom edge - I'm guessing this is to provide clearance for the gear-lever? I've cut my gearstalk down until it's a 'stubby', and it's now far easier to use and lots more ergonomic, so this might not be as necessary as you might think - even consider a convex shape!

(2) Dash finish to use. The World's your cake (or something like that)? Look for ideas at the current Marlin Sportster (Carbon Fibre), Javelin Cabrio (nice burlwood), Aquila (2-tone padded vinyl) - a huge variety there, and we haven't even gone beyond the 'Marlin' marque...!

All of these finishes are available in the 'real' stuff, or very convincing 'fakes'. (I used fake on mine...)

(3) Layout. Really spend time on this. You have aesthetics to consider, ergonomics (thanks to using a full-sized template, I discovered that my first layout had the temp gauge neatly hidden behind my steering wheel rim...), and check that the speedo cable, for example, has an uncluttered path to the speedometer's planned location (again, I found that mine was perilously close to the wiper link which moves with a sawing action...)

(4) Location and choice of switches and idiot lights are every bit as important as the clocks for both appearance and ergonomics. (I'm using a set of classic Mini rocker switches along with a new chrome switch bezel - this helps to keep the layout 'neat', by centralising all the switches in one location.)

I've also decided to locate my idiot lights in an arc above the steering column hole where they'll be seen at a glance through the wheel itself.

The dash is the single 'biggest' thing you can do to your car's interior - no pressure!

A couple of photos:

The first is my new dash before the 'burlwood' film was added - you can see the locations of the switches, idiot lights, etc.

The second has the 'burlwood' film added (self-adhesive plastic film, with around 10 coats of varnish added!). I've also made a lower dash panel to give the dashboard a more integrated look - this is made from hardboard, carefully shaped and laminated to keep its profile.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Tom, Not sure which tank your car uses but it probably is the Hillman Imp tank or possibly spitfire. The build instructions have 1 paragraph.
          QUOTE"Cut the plywood rear floor to accept the tank to be fitted.The Imp tank is bolted direct to the floor. Cut the hole as far forward as possible as this givesmore room for the filler neck, allow half inch clearance for the diff to move on its mountings The spitfire tank requires small brackets bent up from sheet to attach it to the floor."Unquote.Sorry havnt got any pics of this as my sons car uses a robin reliant tank that sits on the chassis and has a flat deck over it.
          Cant add to Donnies full and good advice use carboard cut outs with blue tack and sit in the car.(BRMMM Brmmm noises optional)
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi Tom,
            Donnie is right about the endless variety of dash layouts.
            This is the third re-incarnation of dash on my roadster in twenty four years.
            I have been down the wood route in the past but the latest and probably final rendition is this padded vinyl dash.
            My wife bought me the Veglia Instruments about fifteen years ago.

Have fun with your own design.

Regards Austin
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the pictures i like the vinyl on the dash i have used it on my door cards and they havent come up too bad. I am going for polished aluminium as have a bit an advantage of having the father in law being a sheet metal worker.

I have bought the dashboard out of a triumph 2500 which should be okay considering that is the engine its running (well will be when i connect the battery). Also these were similar to the ones already fitted but they looked a bit tatty so i decided to replace them.

As for the petrol tank I think i cracked it as I had a brain wave while i was looking at the few pictures I had.

Many Thanks and when the dash is done i will post a picture.

Tom

Comment

Working...
              X