Can anyone help with paint colour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help with paint colour

Back in the late 1980's whilst attending a Stoneleigh show with my own roadster I saw on display a newly completed roadster in the most amazing colour blue. I promised myself that when the time came I would paint mine this same colour. But as the paint faded on the Marlin so did my memory and I cannot remember much about it although I believe being told at the time it was a Ferrari colour. The registration was Q982 ATV and I have attached some pictures. The DVLA have no record of this car being taxed since 1990 so if anybody out there can help find out what colour this car was actually painted then I would be most grateful.
    Attached Files
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
    - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Re: Can anyone help with paint colour

For larger images if it helps......
    http://www.marlin-roadster.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/2b.html
    Just pick on the pictures to see them larger.
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
    - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Hi Jon

Sadly the car is not on the membership list :-(

Comment

You could have a look at:
        www.hiroboy.com/zero-paints-gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3
        There many pictures of paint colours for ferraris on there. Click on the thumbnail to see a bigger picture.

Alternatively your local Chipsaway man will have three large books with paint sample colours for (pretty nearly) every car ever made. I'm sure he would let you have a look. Arrange to meet him somewhere where he is working rather than call him out to you (he might want to charge you for that).

Comment

Hi John, I am sure that this car was LWB and 711M crossflow
          a very good car. The owner is from Notts, first name Mark, he sold this car and it was only ever seen on one occasion after the sale. Mark went on to build an equally impressive
          Marcos. His full name should be on the club Roadster trophy
          because this car was a winner of more than one award when Mark owned it. What I can remember is that he told me the paint was a Toyota colour. I think I have got the right car ,does the reg check out as Notts?

Comment

ATV is a Notts reg. Regards Liz

Comment

Danny
              I think the car you mention was Q739 BAL - I still have a photo of this from around 1998/9. I spoke to the owner and he told me it was Toyota Celica Blue from a car of that period. It was absolutely fabulous finish; it had a power bulge on the o/s bonnet

Comment

For practical reasons I'd suggest you try and find a similar colour you like from what's on sale at Halfords - makes like much easier when it comes to minor repairs etc.

Comment

Hi Mike,
                  You have got it right.
                  Danny.

Comment

Hi all, Q982 ATV was built by me back in 85/86 and was my pride and joy. I so wish I still had her. The paint was two pack and was a BMW colour. I remember back in 85 it cost over £700.00 pounds for the paint job. Well worth every penny. If anyone wants any more details about this car, let me know. Keith.

Comment

Sorry forgot to mention - it was Midnight Blue. Keith.

Comment

Hi Keith,
                        Thanks for letting me know. I am afraid the roadster rebuild is on hold since I placed the original post due to house move and renovation so am very glad for your response and will be using this colour when the time comes. I have kept these pictures of your car all this time as I was so impressed with the build quality and wished to use some of your ideas in my rebuild. I would love to see some more pictures of the car if you have any.

Comment

Hi Jon, I honestly didn't think you would still be looking. I have a book full of pikkies from the build somewhere. It was a build I loved but, as always, took longer than I had planned. I believe it was around 18 months give or take. I loved to drive that car, it was just like a production motor. No rattles no bangs and it spun the wheels in third!! Ahh heady days. Not much chance of digging the photos out in the near future due to circumstances :-( but I will post some, if it's not too late, when I find them. I would love to own another Marlin. I would love to own Q982 ATV again.

Comment

I don't know if it is too late but if you are interested I created a Word document that I can send you so that you can play with colours to your hearts content. The picture shows some variations in jpg "grabbed" from the Word doc. If you want a copy let me have your email address and I will send it
                            Attached Files

Comment

I know this thread is ancient, but just for the record I own Q982 ATV. I bought it from kdn17 back in 84 I think, without checking the documents. It's been off the road for 20 odd years, stored inside and out at times as circumstances changed, a shadow of her former self. I recently got her back on the road, doing the bare minimum to achieve that, she is at the moment my everyday car. Although she's now a bit scruffy, through neglect and once having her garage blow completely away from over her, she still attracts attention.

Comment

Working...
                              X