New Engine Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Engine Suggestions?

My 1984 Marina Roadster needs a new engine. It has existing mountings for BL A & B-Series, but I'd prefer something more up-to-date.

I'm considering a bike engine, but am concerned about the torque output. I've reservations about K-Series head gaskets too. Ford Pinto is cheap & reliable;
    Any realistic suggestions / experiences?

Re: New Engine Suggestions?

Your choice is solely dependant on budget really. To keep things easy you need to chose an engine with the induction system on the passenger side so you do not need to relocate the steering column. This limits you quite a bit so here are some options I know of. Pinto, Zetec SE, Duratec, Toyata 20 valve from latest Celica (see RAW Engineering) and Fiat Twin Cam...
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
    - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Did you say easy? - from my experience so far, changing to a Zetec R, nothing has been simple! :-)

Nothing's fitted quite as it's supposed to and I think I may have to sell a kidney to cover the spiralling costs.

That said, the Zetec sits in quite neatly, it's a great engine to start with, and because of that it's widely used in motorsport, hence lots of companies making bits/mods for it. It's also used in a lot of other kits, such as Quantum, who have a large online parts shop and helpful advice too.

Whatever you choose be prepared for a lot of head scratching and open wallet surgery!

Comment

My Roadster seems to have two sets of mountings one for B series and one for Ford?

Thee easiest engines are going to be those with induction side on the left, thus avoiding inlet manifold and carbs clashing with steering column.

Ford Pinto has carbs on the nearside as does Fiat twin can (some versions are the other way around.) I believe the Duratec is this way around too, but I get confused as the various late Ford engines as to exactly which is which. Ford have not been very consistent with their nomenclature.

I am leaning towards a Pinto but remain to be persuaded.

Comment

There were a few Marlins with Alfa engines if my memory serves me right. Maybe have a look at these.

Comment

The Alfa engines have the induction on the drivers side so you would need to relocate the steering column. I have seen examples where the column was re-routed over the carbs but I took the opportunity to change the angle of the column so it was less 'flat' and go under the carbs. This means the steering wheel is at a much more conventional angle.

Comment

Working...
            X