wiring loom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring loom

I have a new rapidfit loom and a very nice new dash with lots of new dials and switches, I have got all the lights wired up but connecting the switches and clocks etc is a complete mystery. I have been looking at it for months but it just doesnt make any sense to me. The loom is all marked up but just goes completly over my head.We have house on the market and
    Car need lots of work to get it on road ,but senior management has advised me that if it is not drivable before we move it has to go , apparently I am going to be busy in the new house to have time to PLAY with my toy...
    Any help would be greatfuly recieved.

Re: wiring loom

The original column stalks worked together with a headlight relay unit in the original Cortina Berli. Some of the switches switched the relay unit earth (-ve) and others switche live(+ve) If you have kept the original Cortina stalk and light relay then you must peruse the wiring diagram to sort out the live and earth switching. It is a bit of a nightmare but after a bit of tracing the wiring through it makes sense.
    The headlights used to only work with the igition switch on, the sidelights would work any time.
    I hope that I have not led you astray though as I do not know if your new loom uses any of the Ford bits & pieces.
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Hi Jez.

As Dane says, there are bits that go different ways...

Having recently re-done my dash (but keeping the Cortina wiring loom and dash instruments multi-way sockets), I discovered that the horn push works on the 'live' side (ie: it's the horns themselves that are earthed, and also work through a relay), whereas the screen wash 'push' goes to earth - so it's the pump that's always 'live'.

If you give some more info about the specific bits you need to connect - and what the wiring loom labels say - perhaps we can help take you through step by step!

Comment

The car has a V8 so there are is only the heater fan and wipers that are cortina electrics.
        When I got the car the whole of the wiring was red, every single one of them including the earth??.
        Would it help if I sent a copy of wiring loom instructions and foto of dials and switches.

Comment

Crikey.
          It must have been wired up by an aircraft electrician , an industrial control electrician or someone who cornered the market in red cable. It is all very non standard for auto-electrics.
          Are the cables numbered or coded at all?
          The wiring loom diagram would be a help. You did not say whether the column stalks, switches and lights are from the old Cortina. Other than tracing the red loom cables and labelling them, the other option is to rip all out and start from scratch with the new loom.
          Its not as bad as it sounds. I have just ripped out all my wiring from the front of the engine bulkhead and made up new looms for an injected engine, new heater and other bits and pieces. I maintained the old Ford wiring plan, retaining the Cortina switches and lighting relays; mating this to the Bosch L-jetronic system from the Sierra. I bought all the correct colour coded (and size) thinwall cable from VWS. The engine started first time and all electrical services functioned correctly with no glitches (so far!). Keep at it and you'll get there. We will all help where we can.
          Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Dane.
            Is Goss moor in cornwall.
            I am of to cornwall today for our hols.If you have a spare 5 mins , could I pop in to talk to you about loom.
            My mobile is 07899960041.
            Jez

Comment

Working...
            X