Front lower ball joint.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front lower ball joint.

Just got myself one of these to fit for my MOT retest, having had a look-see to check that it could be done without a spring compressor - which I don't have!

The Haynes manual unfortunately only shows the removal of this joint as part of the whole hub disassembly.

I THINK it can be done on its own, as the hub and top wishbone will move upwards to release the ball joint, leaving the lower wishbone still attached to the spring and shock.

Can anyone confirm?!

Many thanks.

Re: Front lower ball joint.

Donnie, this can be done as you say. If you have the standard Cortina top wishbone you must realise that the plunge stop is part of that wishbone, The damper may not be designed to hold the extended spring on it's own so I would suggest a support under the spring carrier psrt of the lower wishbone prior to parting the lower ball joint. You will have to raise and support the hub/brake assembly too. Take great care as my springs rated at around 300 lbs per inch. Your lower support must be stable and strong enough for this to avoid serious injury to yourself. Having said all that, once the ball joint is separated then the job is a quick one.
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Sorry, the rate of each my front springs is 234lb/Inch - still a lot!

Comment

Pah - only 234lb/inch! Gulp...

Cheers, Dane - excellent advice as always. Yes, I plan to jack and support the car, and then repeat that for the lower wishbone.

Many thanks.

Comment

Job done - looking good!

Ok, I AM A TWIT...

I had the car chassis supported, and was then using the jack to move from the lower wishbone to the outer hub and back again, depending on which part needed lifting at the time. I KNEW I was being careless, placing just a little piece of wood between the jack top and the rounded part of the lower shock as, unfortunately, using a larger piece of timber tended to cover the track-control arm nuts I needed access to.

So, tweaked it up a little - spring was compressed by no more than a half inch. Reached underneath to remove the nuts.. !!BANG!! Jack slipped, wishbone shot down like a bullet, finger caught between side of jack and wishbone, and initially thought I'd gotten away with it - no sensation. Then realised that I was spraying everywhere with blood...

I've little doubt that, had my finger been caught dead in the middle, the bone would have been crushed too. Gulp.

Anyways, on this happy note, what's the worst car-repair injury people on here have received?!!
          Attached Files

Comment

Er...I won't say I told you so, but....

On a lighter note. At the age of 14 I volunteered to fix the fuel contents sender on my mum's minivan. November, cold, I put car in garage and closed doors- much better. I had asked mum not to refuel car and "assumed" that the tank was near empty. I and my friendly cross head screwdriver were working under the car when fuel poured out from the loosened sensor - yes, the mini van sender was in the SIDE of the fuel tank. Put useful bucket under torrent and carried on undoing the many phillips screws. Last screw was removed and sender was now in hand. cachandedly dropped Phillips screwdriver which penetrated my work light cage and broke the bulb. I was in the centre of a huge explosion which was so big that all the O2 was used up and I did not catch alight. Legged it out of garage and shut the doors. BANG! garage entered low earth orbit destroying anything in its path! The fire brigade were there quickly and extinguished the remains. Was de-briefed about working near fuel -not forgotten to this day; and yes, it was a VERY expensive mistake but I was only slightly scorched plus no eyebrows for a while!

Slightly more exotic than yours Donnie!

I would like to say that this was my only bit of motoring excitement, but....

Comment

Jeepers!!! That is truly scary.

Flaming typical (no pun...) that you'd bust your light bulb just when there was fuel all over the place - what are the chances, eh?

Thanks for that - my finger is feeling SO much better...

Comment

Just a quick point Donnie, The lower suspension picks up loads of S**T from the road. Some of this could haveentered your wound. Have you had a Tetanus jab?

Comment

UURRGGHH, UUUH, WWHHHAAAA ISH TTTT-TTT-NUS - ISH IT SSSSAAAMME SSS LLLOKKJJAAWWW????

Comment

My silly accident was using a 4inch angle grinder to remove the wing off a Gentry. It found a bolt in the GRP and jumped onto my thigh just above my knee. I think I said oops or something like that.
                    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Ouch! To be struck by a bolt from a GENTRY - the indignity...

Comment

Hi Donnie, Dane and Ben.
                        Thanks for sharing with us. We really should start a category call "Bloopers". I am sure that many of us could brighten each other's days by contributing with stories of mirth that seem to go hand-in-hand with kit car building.

Comment

No Donnie It was the grinder blade that hit my leg at 11000 revs. It ruined my overalls.

Comment

AAAAARRGGHHH! You were very lucky, Ben, it didn't remove your nuts.

Comment

No you need a large ring spanner for that.

Comment

Working...
                              X