Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marina to Ford Type 9 gearbox conversion.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marina to Ford Type 9 gearbox conversion.

I have been reading Jez Cox's article in April/May 2004 pitstop.
    Has anyone else attempted this conversion?
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Re: Marina to Ford Type 9 gearbox conversion.

I have been thinking of the options and now looking at using a 6cyl type 9 gearbox with longer input shaft. fitted to the marina bell housing with an adaptor plate.
    This would retain all the marina starter, backplate clutch etc. Especially relevant as the existing are refurbished parts anyway.

A drawback would be the clutch thrust bearing carrier not fitting on the gearbox tube but I am sure that could be overcome easily.

Any comments.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Having thought long and hard about the pros and cons, I reached the conclusion that fitting a Ford gearbox without fitting a Ford engine along with it was a waste of effort.

It's not as if we are running a "classic" like an mgb where we want to keep some authenticity.

Don
      Last edited by donsayers; 09-12-11, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Thanks Don. Would tend to agree but.. engine is only about 12000 miles from a full rebuild, everything necessary replaced or reground.
        Its just that I am fed up with a waving stick of a gearbox and ridiculous revs at speed. Its just another option to finding a dolly box with overdrive and the Type 9 should be around for years to come.

If it can be done with an adaptor plate around £100 + box then I think it is worthwhile.
        MOC member since 05/97

Comment

I had the same issue when I had a Marina engine to my SWB fitted and looked at all the conversions ideas as my Marina engine had just done 1000 miles after rebuild.After a lot of thinking I fitted a Pinto and type 9 box and it is the best thing I have done as it has transformed the car and you can parts ok if and when needed. I sold my old Marina engine and gearbox for good money to an Marina owner which more than paid for the Pinto conversion.

Good luck..........Bob

Comment

OK Things seem a little negative. I am sure it would be different if I had an overdrive dolomite box and was prepared to adjust the transmission tunnel etc.
            I have decided to go forward with this project anyway. If there are other Marina engined Roadsters out there who would like to try this route then please get in touch.
            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Go for it Steve...one of the joys of owning a kit car is the relative freedom to try different things out...the cars become as individual as the owners...it'd be a boring world otherwise. I'm also sure Sue would like a write-up for the mag when you're done.
              Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
              Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Bumped back to the top of the list.

I have worked out all the details necessary for fitting a Type 9 gearbox to a Marina bell housing and am looking at getting some adaptor plates and a couple of minor mods made up for the longer shaft V6 gearbox.

Compatability should be OK between 1.3 and 1.8's as they use the same bell housing. Difficulty may arise with very early 1.3 clutches having 10 splines not the 23 on a Ford Box. We will be looking further into this conversion as we finally resolve the 1.8 issues.

So far as the Type 9 in a Marlin goes we have kept the standard Marina clutch and it will fit in the transmission tunnel with simple modifications for a gearstick hole some 4" further back with a custom gearbox mounting and a shorter propshaft.

A longer speedo cable will be required but the difference between the Ford and Marina axle ratios appears to be within 3% so there should be no immediate need to recalibrate the speedo. We will check this against satnav when completed.

Wiring will have to be extended, and the sides changed for the reversing switch.

This has all been developed in conjuction with the Marina Owners Club and am sure it will be of interest to them as an alternative to a Dolomite sprint overdrive box.
                Obviously any other cars using a Marina engine/gearbox as a donor can also be mofified. Cost including a second hand box, new clutch assy, gaskets, speedo cable and fixings should come in at less than £400.

Once we start machining I hope to get some photographs of our progress and will assemble a parts list for the whole kit. With luck this can be published in Pitstop.

Any comments please, or if you want to join us in this project please get in touch.
                Please don't say, why not change the engine and box for something more modern.
                MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Steve,
                  You have ot all pretty well sorted. The type 9 can be fitted with different speedo drive gears depending on the vehicle to which it was fitted. I changed my gear for one to bring my speedo in to line. I actually managed to get the drive gear I wanted from a Ford dealer !!!
                  Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Steve
                    Would you like a Dolomite Sprint gearbox, with overdrive?
                    I have a good one not being used.
                    Will it mate to a Marina engine?
                    I had a Triumph 2.5 6 cyl. and intended to fit the Sprint gearbox + o/d, but the integral bell housing/gearbox was at the wrong angle for the old 2.5 Triumph.I needed the pre 1974 1850 Dolomite over drive.
                    However, if you are interested, give me a cal on : 07968 835101
                    Regards
                    Mike

Comment

Thanks for the offer of the box but I am well on the way with this project and too financially comitted to change track.
                      I am sure there would be someone else who would like to use it.
                      The Ford box will drop in without any change to the tunnel, gives an overdrive and for me more importantly moves the gearstick four inches further back. I dont like the flappy, long gearstick that comes out from the recesses under the dash especially as my seat is pushed as far back as it will go.
                      MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Looking good
                        MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Waving my own flag (well you have to sometimes) the type 9 box is bolted up into the car and everything works. I just need to sort out the carpet over the transmission tunnel and plug a few of the old holes.
                          Well pleased with the drop in revs at speed and the better gearchange, no more flappy levers and closer to hand.

I had extra adaptor plates made up if anyone wants to follow Jez Cox's original lead, but retain the Marina clutch and bell housing.
                          MOC member since 05/97

Comment

The last of the current batch of Type 9 adaptor plates have been sold, so far they have been installed in Marinas, Marlins and Pilgrim Bulldogs.

We are trying to estimate how many to get made in the next batch. We appreciate that you may not be able to commit right now, but expressions of interest would be appreciated.
                            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Another option on Ebay.

MG MGB MGA Morris Minor Conversion Type 9 Recon Gearbox. Item number: 110777485497 www.firstmotion.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X