Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Marina to Ford Type 9 gearbox conversion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. #11 Re: Marina to Ford Type 9 gearbox conversion.  
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Thanks for the offer of the box but I am well on the way with this project and too financially comitted to change track.
    I am sure there would be someone else who would like to use it.
    The Ford box will drop in without any change to the tunnel, gives an overdrive and for me more importantly moves the gearstick four inches further back. I dont like the flappy, long gearstick that comes out from the recesses under the dash especially as my seat is pushed as far back as it will go.

2. #12 Re: Marina to Ford Type 9 gearbox conversion.  
    Looking good

3. #13 Re: Marina to Ford Type 9 gearbox conversion.  
    Waving my own flag (well you have to sometimes) the type 9 box is bolted up into the car and everything works. I just need to sort out the carpet over the transmission tunnel and plug a few of the old holes.
    Well pleased with the drop in revs at speed and the better gearchange, no more flappy levers and closer to hand.

I had extra adaptor plates made up if anyone wants to follow Jez Cox's original lead, but retain the Marina clutch and bell housing.

The last of the current batch of Type 9 adaptor plates have been sold, so far they have been installed in Marinas, Marlins and Pilgrim Bulldogs.

We are trying to estimate how many to get made in the next batch. We appreciate that you may not be able to commit right now, but expressions of interest would be appreciated.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Another option on Ebay.

MG MGB MGA Morris Minor Conversion Type 9 Recon Gearbox. Item number: 110777485497 www.firstmotion.co.uk

Thanks Bob, thats the beast. you can do the work yourself, and rebuild a Type 9 gearbox, if you have a bench you can lay the parts out on.

All we have done is make up a plate that sits between a slightly modified Marina bell housing and the Type 9, and work out how to make it all fit in a Marlin or Marina etc using the Marina clutch.

The MGB boys have done a conversion bell housing for their Type 9 installation but to do that on a Marina you need to fit a complete MGB backplate, starter motor, flywheel and clutch.

The assembly looks like this.

I do have a modified bell housing in my garage that I can supply on an exchange basis.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

7. #17 Re: Marina to Ford Type 9 gearbox conversion. 
    After four years, we have closed down the 5speedmarina website. All sales for the adaptor plates are now through eBay only.
    The first one sold in less than an hour!
    We have limited stock. There are no plans to have any more plates manufactured, this is where the project ends.

Many thanks to those who have purchased and installed, from Marina based kitcars, not just Marlins, but the Morris Marina community too.

The difference an overdrive makes is significant, the Marina was essentially designed for 60mph, overdrive makes 70mph driving easy without taking away the fun of the first four gears.
    MOC member since 05/97

8. #18 Re: Marina to Ford Type 9 gearbox conversion. 
    regular forum contributor Club Member
    Waking up a very old thread here. Are there any drawings of the adapter plate? So that it might be possible to have a one off manufactured?