Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with BMW E36 build

Message originally posted by: Andy Dane
    HELP!! I have 3 problems and I couldn't get hold of Mark earlier so anyone out there able to help?

1; the rear suspension trailing arm is just touching the rear of the cockpit - that can't be right can it?
    2; I can compress the springs, front or back, using my spring compressors but then the compressors get in the way of actually fitting the springs... Are there more than one design of compressor??? I'll put pix of mine on my website under problems...
    3; with the rear springs fitted I have the trailing arm connected but the shock won't fit round the spring seat - by sitting on the back of the chassis I can get it closer but I'm concerned that if I actually connect them and then stand up, I'll damage the shocks...

Any ideas?
    Cheers Andy - www.marlinsportster.co.uk

Re: Help with BMW E36 build

Andy

Looking at the pictures on your website I wondered if you were using part of the front suspension (the arms with the circular holes in them) at the rear. Admittedly I used a Z3 rear suspension but it didn't look like yours at all.

I had similar problems with a pair of pring compressors like yours. Stongly suggest buying a pair of new ones which have a safety retaining clip to stop them slipping under tension. In the end I resorted to using a large vice to help compress the springs whilst I positioned the compressors around the shock absorber.

I had a similar thought about the shock absorbers. At present mine are taking some of the weight of the rear hubs. I got mine on by lowering the chassis down onto the springs using an engine crane.

I didn't have too much trouble getting the rear suspension into place - apart from the anti-roll bar. The Z3 anti-roll bar is a different shape!

If you want to come round and have a look at my build you are very welcome.

Comment

I hope not - it seems to match up with the pics I've got of other 3 series based cars - think it's just a tight fit...
      I'm going to wait on the rear shocks until the engines in to see if the extra weight pushes them into place
      And the front springs are fitted using a variety of methods that i won't post here because they really can't be recommended...
      Now trying to figure out the steering rack - can't see how the steering column attached to the marlin end of the column and I haven't got any track rod ends that will fit - the donor versions are way too long...
      Might well come and visit soon...

Comment

Andy

I agree not at obvious how to fit the steering column to the Marlin supplied Steering linkage. I intend to cut their end off and weld on a a universal joint (bought one from Car Builder Solutions).

Marlin supplied me with Track Rod ends.

Jeremy Ward

Comment

I'm building an e30 based BMW Sportster. Haven't got as far as the steering column, but has anybody out there asked Marlin how this is supposed to fit? The photo's of the demonstrator look completely different to what i have? The so called build manual is not very helpful as there is little or no pictures of this assembly. Somebody must have cracked this one?

Comment

Agreed on the track rod ends - I asked mark and he is going to send me some out - and we discussed the rear shocks as well - he's advised me I need to grind/cut a small segment out of the spring seat and then reweld the seam. I sent hiom pix of the bit thats runbbing for him to see what I meant ...

I'm also "ignoring" the steering column for the moment - as winter is approaching and my engine is sat outsidce I'm preparing for that first - I have an able asistant coming over in a few weeks to help and I need to figure ouit how to get it back in the garage now that there is a chassis in the way!!

Comment

Working...
            X