Cooling for V8 Hunter3.9i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cooling for V8 Hunter3.9i

Thanks for the info Dave. Your set up certainly looks very purposeful. There seems to be more space in the Sportster between the engine and the rad?

My bonnet has 4 rows of louvres in the bonnet as standard. Following two breakdowns in pouring rain due to water getting straight into the O E Marlin air intake / Airflow Meter I have now fitted “gutters & drainpipes” to mine plus a K&N filter under a cover. Plan is to duct cold air straight into this from the front above the rad as part of my current fan / ram air duct work. The “rain gutters” are Z in cross section so their ends and upper side are open for hot air to exit. Due to the “peak” on the Marlin bonnet the lower side forms a natural drain for rain water. Four strips of dural with 4mm studs glued in were first bonded carefully to the bonnet underside with sikaflex and the gutters attached with nyloc nuts so they are removable. Drain tubes are also bonded on with sicaflex. Even after heavy rain the engine is now completely dry. See pics attached.

Anyone know where I can get some lightweight gas struts for the bonnet? Approx weight at the bonnet bracket is 10lbs, stroke will be 8” and overall extended length is 18” approx depending where I locate the bulkhead hinge.

Thanks Danny. I have just found an old photo that I took of the rad under the car at Colerne. See attached pic. Peter.

Attached Files

Comment

Peter. With regard to gas struts, you could try WWW.gasstrutengineering.co.uk. They manufacture adjustable struts in most lengths. I used some on a 911 once for the boot lid and found them very good because you can bleed off excess pressure(very carefully).Regards.

Comment

Many thanks David. I seem to have this company saved in my favourites from some earlier research. Nice to have some good feedback about them so I will give them a try. Peter.

Comment

Peter

Have you checked your pump is working OK in all this?
          Chris Cunliffe had n overheating problem with his BMW which turned out to be a failed pump?
          Mike

Comment

Hi Mike. I know that high mileage Rover V8s have been known to suffer reduction of the impeller tips (and pump efficiency) due to corrosion. However as my engine was new at POB and 25K miles so probably safe to assume it's ok? I will still add it though to my list of "things I hope it won't be"!

Meantime fan and ram air duct mods complete. Another 2 day = 3weeks job! :-( Road test report after CV boots job now in work!
            Peter.

Comment

Peter
              Have you thought about having a larger rad core installed?
              I went this route with my old roadster, Serck services made me a larger rad using the original Viva top and bottom tanks resulting in a radiator that was approx 5 inches taller, the extra height was accomodated by extending it downwards between the chassis rails. Never had a problem with cooling with that set-up even queing for an hour to get into Stoneleigh on one occassion when all around were turning there engines off

Comment

Hi Alan. Interesting info but I don't think there would be room between my V8 and my front chassis rail. Ultimately a bit wider and a bit higher may work but aluminium is the favoured route as usually less core rows as more efficient heat transfer so better airflow. Need to get measurements of an alloy rad for a Caterham V8 rad, see my previous link.

However test run update meantime! After a 2 hour run to Lyme Regis and back this afternoon to evaluate the new ram air duct and fan reposition (staying just ahead of the snow) the coolant temperature never went above 90deg C. That included following other traffic and waiting at traffic lights in Lyme R. Even though the ambient was about minus 1 deg C it still looks encouraging. Also the electric fan never cut in once during the whole journey! Waiting for warmer weather to evaluate mods further :-)Peter.

Comment

Hi Peter, one other thought has come to mind from my time with playing with boats. Some boat engines are on the borderline with their salt water/fresh water heat exchangers and the manufacturers point out to only use their recommended anti freeze. Aparently some antifreezes leave a skin of silicates on the water cooling surfaces which act as a barrier to the flow of heat. I've actually been a victim of this and it is a sod to clean off, so it might be worth reading the small print on the antifreeze container to check.
                  However, I hope you have solved your problem with the mods done.

Comment

Hi Hugh.
                    That's an interesting new one to add to my list! How did you actually remove the silicates?

My antifreeze was in the car at purchase and I have topped up with Halfords own brand neat when needed. As pat of my hot running / cooling problems I have also recently added "Water Wetter" with no noticable improvement. Peter.

Comment

Hi Peter, because the heat exchangers on marine engines are subject to all sorts of debris sucked up from the seawater they are fully dismantalable(is that a real word?)So it was a case of emery paper and steel wool. Once you have broken through the skin it tends to come off on pieces.

Comment

I've always used Bluecol by the way.

Comment

Try using clean rain water instead of tap water.
                          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
                          X