X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Wants Advice

Message originally posted by: Jason Dingley
    Hi,

I would appreciate some advice about a possible, future purchase of a Marlin sportscar.

Basically, I have looked on the Marlin Cars website, and can't make up my mind whether I would like one or not! I drive an MG ZR (and am a member of the MGOC - so I'm not just a 'boy-racer'); I like interesting sports cars.

The reason for my query is that I am thinking of a possible purchase of something 'unusual'. The options are a classic car or a new car that has 'classical' looks (Marlin or Morgan) to supplement my daily drive of a modern MG.

I would appreciate advice as to whether a Marlin would giv me what I am looking for - a comfortable, but enjoyable, driving experience.

Many thanks,

Jason

Re: Newbie Wants Advice

Talking about the older Marlins here:

I have a Roadster LWB and the ride is far from "comfortable" but it is hugely enjoyable and tremendous fun to drive. The feedback through the chassis is second to none, the power in my 1800TC should be more, but doesn't overwhelm the chassis. It's quirky so always gets attention from everyone no matter where you go. Mine is perfectly reliable and is maintained well (bar things like a Manifold snapping and a clutch hose popping when I first got her), indeed it's my daily driver and has been for the past 6 months and was used frequently over the past year.

If you want comfort and a car which is more "car" like, then you need to look towards the bigger versions such as the Cabrio or Berlinetta. There was an interesting article in the last Pitstop (MOC mag) which was about a bloke choosing between the two (a cabrio and a roadster) and he decided he preferred the balls-out driving of the roadster over the comfort of the bigger car.

If you want more details on mine, check it out at www.stefancarlton.net, I'm trying to keep a little diary/log of what happens/what I do to the car as for my sake as anyone elses.

The one thing I wouls say as a warning, my car is based on a 1976 Marina so don't kid yourself that you don't need to do routine matainence/work on them. Most weekends I'm out tinkering on with her, either fixing little bits here and there or upgrading something (this weekend it's relays onto the headlights).

I bought the car to learn mechanical skills and I'm happy with my purchase, but then I knew my cars history as it used to be my brother-in-laws...

Comment

Message originally posted by: Jason
      Thanks for the reply. I was thinking more in terms of buying a new one, since I don't want to have to worry about doing any work to get it to run! Whether or not I could justify being self-indulgant is another matter!

Jason

Comment

Message originally posted by: Mark Barnes
        Hi,
        I've had a Berlinetta for about 4 years now, and have tinkered with it most of that time. They're not production cars. You put up with the faults because you enjoy playing with them and improving them. For me buying one new would defeat the object. I have a Rover 220 and CRX as regular transport.
        That said I think my car is about as practical as an Elise and possibly more comfortable! ...Or at least it was until I took it off the road to change the gearbox and engine, and accidentally had a baby! So it's gathering dust at the moment...

Comment

Message originally posted by: Geoff Thorpe
          Hi Jason,
          I have a marlin sportster with bmw power.I have driven many production sports cars in my time,but nothing turns heads like the sportster or gives such a thrilling exciting drive.It has a very strong chassis with ample ground clearence to stride over speed humps.
          Not a practical shopper,but then again you will be looking for any excuse for a drive, I visit Sainsburys 14 times a week.
          I'm no doctor, but would prescribe a Sportster test drive as soon as poss.
          regards,
          Geoff.

Comment

Working...
          X