Brake discs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake discs

Did you know that black diamond manufacture drilled and grooved brake discs for the Marina along with the upgraded brake pad linings. Has anyone tried these and can they report on significant performance increases. They retail at about ?100 the pair plus pads which is a lot of money if they do not add huge advantage.
    I visited Frontline today who have designed a 5 link rear end for the MGB and Midget / spridget and also have a rear disc conversion. ( continuation from "marina axle thread" ). They are interested in helping out with a conversion for the marina / Marlin rear end but we need some help with regard hub dimensions. They have used a peugeot rear disc with VW caliper and made their own brackets and redrilled the discs for PCD. Can anyone tell me the diameter of the hole in the centre of the rear drum and find out if there is a rear brake disc from another manufacturer with the same diam. I know some of you have access to brake catalogues with this info.
    Also GB developments sell a twin brake cylinder setup with bias bar that will fit onto the servo. Has anyone tried this as I feel it might not fit due to the steering rod clearance.
    All feedback regard 5 links / rear disc conversion and brake upgrades would be greatly appreciated as I intend to come up with the definitive answer for all club members but do not wish to "reinvent the wheel" as it were.
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
    - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Re: Brake discs

Message originally posted by: Don Sayers
    I found that stainless brake hoses and ECB "greenstuff" pads made a huge difference to the feel of the brakes and to the stopping distance.

Comment

Don, where abouts did you get Green Stuff brake pads for the Marina? I'm wanting to replace the pads on my car but don't actually know what brakes are on the damned thing

Comment

I got my ECB pads for a Marina from http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/. The
        Marina is as usual, listed under "Rover". The part number is DP2106.
        I replaced the hoses calipers and pads all at the same time so I cannot be sure which made the differece. I am not sure that the green stuff pads are worth the extra over the cost of standard pads. Let us know if what you think.

Comment

The brake hub sits on a spigot dia. on the rear hub which measures 62mm / 2.441ins, there is a slight clearance so a disc with a hole about 62.5mm / 2.46ins should do.
          BTW those Black Diamond discs for the Marina do you have a P/No.? - I have looked at several sites with Black Diamond discs and none of them mention the Marina.

Comment

Peter,
            The part number for the discs is KBD043C and the pads BDPP810. When looking for these on any website they are always listed under Rover.
            Check out this links.
            Need For Speed:
            http://www.needforspeed.co.uk/pages/sbv_pl.asp?Vehicle=MOMAR01&PartType=BRB01
            Motorsport World:
            http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/frame-detail.asp?PAGE=/black-diamond-brakes.htm.
            These guys offer a 15% discount if you order discs and pads together.
            You also have options on whether the discs are drilled only, grooved only, or drilled and grooved.
            Let me know what you think?
            If enough people are interested in these then we might be able to arrange some club discount on bulk orders.

Cheers

Jon
            Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
            - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Peter,
              Just spoke to Keith at Need for Speed and he has quoted me ?142.23 for combi discs and pads inc VAT and delivery to Bristol.
              Sounds like a fair price if they really improve the braking.
              Jon

Comment

Been watching this topic. I'm not sure that your thinking on the right lines. One of the reasons that the braking is, or seems , underpowered is that when you cut down the pedals you loose a substiantial amount of leverage. Since our cars are relatively light, it's not a problem of brake fade that needs addressing but more pressure at the pads; i.e. more mechanical or hydraulic advantage. With stainless hoses,and a good servo, it's still a fairly heavy feel but very capable of locking the wheels and NO give in the system. Anyone else got similar thoughts? If it was possible to put the non-servo master cyl. on the servo, this would compensate for the amount that was cut off the pedals????

Comment

Thanks for the info Jon, I already have stainless hoses with standard Marina discs and pads. The braking is OK, just lacks a little 'bite' so I think I will try some of those green pads first.

Comment

Hugh, I couldn't agree with you more. This would be the best solution but I have failed in my search for greater pressure whilst still using the servo. The main advantage of cross drilling is to aid disc cooling & thus help prevent brake fade, the grooves are primarily to clean the pads & to help bite, obviously the drilled & grooved discs offer all the advantages & give the best improvements in stopping power. Even higher grade pads will glaze and therefore effect stopping ability in time. The only way is to periodically remove the pads and remove the glaze with fine emery cloth.
                    I find, even with greenstuff pads, that with "spirited" driving I can get brake fade, hence my original question.

Comment

The Marina breaking system (on which the roadster brakes are based) was designed over 40 years ago. Since then the amount of servo assistance that car designers have provided to the brake pedal has increased hugely.In the Marina's day you expected to have to push the brakes hard to bring the car to a halt. Nowadays we have grown used to powerful servos. The amount cut-off the brake pedal will lose you about 25% of the braking effort, but also remember that the car is half the weight of a marina. The servo on the Marina is not at fault, it was provided on disk braked cars. The non servo system was only used on the cars with front drums which had a degree of self servo in the twin leading shoe set up. If you want a modern brake feel you will have to fit a larger diameter servo. But then the Roadster is a an old car now, isnt the "feel" part of the charm?

Comment

Working...
                      X