Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HOOD COVER WANTED, AND BLACK HARDTOP TO GO!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOOD COVER WANTED, AND BLACK HARDTOP TO GO!

Has anyone got a hood bag for a Berlinetta that they dont use, as I have given up the idea of fitting my hardtop in the winter etc and will stick with the soft top instead. So come on who's got one and doesnt use it!
    If not where can I get one and who would like a hardtop with built in sunroof , in black.......

Re: HOOD COVER WANTED, AND BLACK HARDTOP TO GO!

Hi Keith,

Not an answer to your question, but perhaps you (or other member) would be good enough to give me a view - I am thinking of fitting a sun roof to my hard-top.

I bought a Berlinetta last year (e-bay - October). I live near Aberdeen and plan to use the car the year round - so the hard top make sense for a large part of the year.

I took off the hard top soon after purchase as the interior lining was falling down - and have to say that the soft top has worked surprisingly well throughout the winter. I can see why some people don't bother with the hard top!

I have cleaned & buffed the inner surface of the hard top and stuck on some polystyrene type base (the stuff put down under wooden panel floors) as an insulator. I have bought some car roof lining material which have a sponge backing - still to be stuck onto this. I generally like sun roofs and this stage in the job is now the ideal one to put in an sunroof - but I firstly wanted some opinions before I got to it with a jig saw!

Firstly did the sunroof work well or is it just a drafty nuisance in such a small and highly curved roof?

What dimensions is the sunroof (successful or not).

What dimensions would be too big - seriously compromising the structure strength or precipitate cracking?

All comments welcome.

Thanks, Alan

Comment

Alan, i bought the Berlinetta with the hard top as a replacement for my roadster which only had a soft top. So I cant advise you but I'm sure other people will. But like you I think the soft top will suffice for the small amount of mileage it may do in the winter

Comment

Hi Keith,
        Living in Sweden the hardtop lengthens the Marlin season quite a lot for me. I put a sunroof on one of my Berlinettas. I retrieved it at a scrap yard from a VW beetle (old model). It measures 50cm X 40cm and works well and after nearly 20 years I have no cracking of the hardtop or leaks. It is the type that has an aluminium frame and tilting glas (hinged at the front). Fitting was a straight forward process even if I felt some anguish about cutting the hole.

Comment

Hi Alan, If you intend to fit a sunroof in your hardtop why not, at the same time, make an elongated cut out above the rear window and fit a high level third brake light?
          Hella make a very nice unit and no one would argue that it would not be an added safety feature. You could make a nive cover on the inside and hide the wiring behind the heahlining.
          I wish we had fitted one before painting and relining our hardtop.

Comment

Hi James & Neville,

Many thanks to both of you for the replies - from international locations! Most impressed with the catchment of the forum!

I will make contact with the breakers yards for a 50*40 sun roof with confidence.

Neville - which Hella light were you thinking of. Do you have a web address/ reference for the exact one?

Thanks
            Alan

Comment

Hi Keith,
              My Berli has a hard top fitted with a sunroof which is marked Nissan - although you have to look hard to see it. Its a tilt /remove type and has proved to be fine and watertight

Comment

Hi Tim,

Its actually me who is seeming information on the sunroof - James was kind enough to give me the dimensions of his 50cm * 40cm and from running a tape over the roof it looks just right. I would greatly appreciate the dimensons of yours too as I will approach a breakers yard, who may not have such a perfect size, and it would be good to know other sizes that work.

Thanks,
                Alan

Comment

Hi Alan,
                  For ideas on 3rd brake lights try Googling "hella third brake light" and you will find lots of good links but the light I had in mind, although never fitted, was Hella 12v Thinlite. If you look at www.shopwiki.co.uk you can see a choice of three suppliers with the cheapest at GBP27.76 from www.spare-online.co.uk

Comment

Hi Alan,
                    Apols for the confusion and the delay in getting back to you.My sunroof is a Nissan with a toughened tinted glass removable panel. The actual panel measures 735 x 380 mm

Comment

Referring to Keith's original enquiry - has anyone found a supplier of hood bags that can be fitted over the hood in folded position? I keep staring at mine, thinking that it is the worst feature of the car, spoiling the otherwise brilliant appearance!

Alternatively, I was thinking of painting something on the inside of the fabric, so that the 200mm actually showing when folded looks a decent colour. At present, it looks rather drab. What paint can I use? Anyone ventured down this route?

Cheers
                      Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X