Latest on IVA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest on IVA

I've received another VOSA Newsletter regarding the impending introduction of IVA on 29th April. The important things for kitcar builders are:

1) Further evidence is now required for engine origins. This will prevent you changing the donor V5 to say that the Chevy V8 was fitted to your donor Sierra, then transferring it with all the other parts to your kit. In practice this should not worry us unduly, as there should be enough parts from the donor to ensure an age-related registration (assuming IVA uses the same points system as SVA). If your donor really did have said V8, photographs should do.

2) SVA Certificate (Minister's Approval Certificate) validity has been extended from 31st October to 31st December. Why anyone should delay registration after passing the test I don't know!

3) Fees have now been set. The category/class that affects us will be 450 pounds for inspection and 90 pounds for retest, and the latter will be waived for certain minor items of non-compliance. So - more than SVA but not as bad as some reports suggested.

This has all been agreed with the Minister for Transport, but still needs approval of Parliament to become law. Keep plugging away at the build!!!

Re: Latest on IVA

I would be interested if anyone gets a MAC for a Mk1 roadster. Yes people are still building them!!
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi Dave
      At least my SD1 gearbox had been in a Sierra with a V8! even if it wasn't the same car!
      £450 still sounds a lot I guess you needto be sure that it is going to pass.
      Any ideas on the exact test items?

Comment

Just applied for SVA. Target date 28th April. I just hope that if it fails the re-test will be SVA and not IVA.
        Got email from VOSA stating it is legal to drive to an SVA if you have insurance and MOT.

Comment

Retest will be SVA provided its done before end of October. Otherwise it's a full test from the beginning and that means IVA. Retests always did need doing in 6 months anyway, before you had to do it all again.
          I actually doubt the need for an MoT, because that is not required until the car is 3 years old. The car is a Marlin (not a Ford), and its date of manufacture on the new V5 corresponds to the date it passes its SVA, even though it should have been allocated a registration related to the age of the donor (not the donor number or a Q). Hopefully you've had the DVLA inspection and got the VIN allocated, because the first check on SVA is the VIN - 17 digits stamped into the chassis.

Comment

Thanks for that Dave - I wasn't expecting i to pass first time...

My inquiry to VOSA was 'is it legal to drive an unregistered car to a SVA test'. I did not mention what kind of car it was. They replied - yes with an MOT and insurance.

I was going to put it through an MOT before SVA since that may well pick up some faults I can fix.

And I do have a 17 digit VIN number on the chassis - Phew!

Comment

I should have applied before 20th March. Didn't see that on the VOSA website. Now its got to be IVA - drat and blast.

Comment

Bad luck Chris. Sorry you missed the deadline. Keep us posted how you go on. Regards Liz

Comment

MOT-ed yesterday. Failed on poor beam pattern (Marlin supplied lights, straight out of the box!), two seat belt bolts not done up tight enough and last of all it ran out of washer fluid!

I was worried the engine may fail the emmisions test but it was OK.

Comment

Sorry to hear you missed the deadline for SVA, so did I. There is a very interesting article in the May addition of Complete Kit Car following a Cobra through IVA. I thought I had studied the IVA manual well for possible fail points for the Cabrio but this article throws up a couple I had not found. You may want to take a look at it as at £450 for the new test it would be best to pass it first time although as with SVA we know this could be over optimistic.

Good luck

John

Comment

I was really annoyed that the cut-off date for applications was not well publisised.
                      I've downloaded a huge PDF file about the IVA test and looked through it. I now know I've got to revise my seat belt anchorage as I've used a racing type harness and bolted the rear point through the rear chassis rail. It needs to have a welded in spreader plate and the crush tube through the rail.
                      Mirros might be a problem with coverage. Otherwise I'll have to hope... I've covered all the 'sharp' edges.

If you want a copy of the IVA manual contact me and I'll email it to you (its about 2Mb big....)

Comment

Hi Chris

Thanks for the offer of the manual but I already have it, make sure you get the latest version as there are a few variations floating about. I would recommend you to take some time going through it there are a number of areas which are likley to cause problems.

Many are small items such as rear number plate space is not adequate, filler cap for tank has to use the ignition key or be tethered to the car, the tank has to be earthed for static and a number of other similar issues.

Of more concern is the increased requirements for the petrol tank regards exposure to heat source ie if an exhaust runs under it a heat shield may not be acceptable and protection of the tank from puncture in the event of a rear end impact. I am not convinced the current tank design will pass due to the amount of tank showing at the rear under the chassis rail and proxsimity of the front side of the tank to the diff.

Have a read and see what you think but I would also look up the article in complete kit car as it has an interesting discussion about front wing design which may potentially affect the Cabrio regards trailing edge height of front wing behind tyre.

All in all whilst IVA should improve kit car safety it is not good news if you have built the car against SVA requirments.

Regards

John

Comment

Chris - can I have a copy of that pdf please? cfurnival at btinternet.com many thanks.

Comment

It is on its way through cyberspace.

Comment

Many thanks Chris - have had a quick flick through and there are one or two items I will need to revisit. I was relieved to see that some of the things other people are worrying about on other forums are not going to be the problem I thought they were - daytime running lights are optional for example. Still, will have a proper read later - many thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X