Latest on IVA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Latest on IVA

There is some interesting info on this on the mad about kit cars forum http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2111.

One of the guys on there put his Sportster in for SVA a couple of days ago and while they were doing it VOSA asked if they could also IVA it for their training benefit, gives some real life feedback on IVA fail points on the Sportster some of which may apply to the Cabrio.

Its under the post by Martinclan "SVA Ready" towards the end of the thread.

Comment

There is an article worth looking at in the May issue of
      Complete Kitcar mag

Comment

Re fuel filler the requirment is
        "The fuel filler cap must either be tethered to the vehicle or be of a lockable type where the key can only be removed when the cap is locked or an automatically opening and closing, non-removable fuel filler cap"

It does not require the key to be an ignition key, only that the key can not be removed unless the cap is locked. I checked just before attempting to tether the fuel cap!

Comment

My version 3.2 IVA manual states

"The fuel filler cap must either be tethered to the vehicle or be of a lockable type which utilises the ignition key of the vehicle and where the key can only be removed when the cap is locked or an automatically opening and closing, non-removable fuel filler cap (Post 05 / 2003 vehicles only)"

Would the car not be classed as post that date if it has not been registered before?

Comment

John ... Interesting... My copy has a version control page and it claims to be version 1.0 dated 27/03/2009. How about yours?

It has the same version number and dates on the page footers.

Its title is IVA-Inspection-Manual-for-M1-Passenger-Cars.pdf

I'd be surprised if it somehow got to version 3.2 so quickly, when did you acquire the copy? I downloaded mine on 14/04/2009

Comment

Hi Chris

There have been a number of versions, 12 according to the version control page in the release 3.2 manual. The one you have was released on 12/11/07, I believe version 3.2 is the latest, I can send it to you by email if let me have an email address.

Cheers

John

Comment

John.
                Their version control must be pants. I got it off their website only last month! If anythin like that happened in this office heads would roll! Not only that it was dated 27/03/2009 in the version history!

Yes please, if you could email me the latest copy you have. my address is chris dot cussen at talktalk dot net

Thanks

Chris

Comment

Chris

The 3.2 manual should be in your mailbox, its a huge 9.75mb pdf though so if you have problems pulling it down let me know.

Regards

John

Comment

John

Have you stopped progress on your cabrio? - no photos on Flickr since Christmas?
                    What are the main issues for Cabrio builders that you have seen in the new IVA?
                    Mike

Comment

Hi Mike

Yes the car has been put on hold for the time being, drop me a mail at johntootle AT sky DOT Com and I will let you have my telephone number if you fancy a chat re my change of heart.

Cheers

John

Comment

John
                        Thanks for the download.
                        Just parted with £450. No date yet I've asked for sometime in June. I've got to:
                        1. Heatshield under fuel tank, in progress at the moment.
                        2. Tether fuel cap.
                        3. Fix fog light to come on ONLY when the headlights are on
                        4. Radius anything sharp ( this is the bit that worries me most, how do you deal with the rear of the bonnet?)
                        5. Get seat belt mounting bracket welded to rear chassis rail. I've got full harness initia reel belts and the reel is currently bolted to the rear chassis rail, but welding AND bolting seems to be a good idea since even if it bolted therough the rail it needs a welded on spreader plat.)
                        Chris

Comment

Hi Chris

Glad its been of use to you. Did you get a look at the last Complete Kit Car which has a Sportster going through IVA, has some additions you may need to give thought to, interesting pictures of a tool measuring the wing line behind the rear of the wheels which apparently has to pass, I couldn't find reference to that in the IVA manual!!.

On my car the windscreen would not pass as although it has a BS kite mark I am told this is no longer acceptable and it has to be E marked.

I feel for you being the first to put one through, I hope all the worries expressed, mine included, turn out to be hot air.

I think if I was you I would fit standard belts for the IVA test which are bolted to the standard belt mounts designed into the chassis, at least then you can argue they were designed specifically to handle the loads.

Sharp edges are a concern I agree, the complete kit car article says the IVA inspector stated use of edgings as per SVA is no longer allowed and the radius has to be designed into the item. If thats the case it would be huge work, not only on the body but now the interior exclusion zone has been taken out it includes everything 150 mm above the floor line, even behind the dash!. I think I would just go for this aspect as if its SVA and see what happens.

On the exhaust routing I do not think a heat shield will be acceptable unless it is very big, as the requirement is that fuel can't spill onto a hot item if the tank leaks and the heat shield in my opinion would not stop this. When I was considering IVA I was going to re-route the exhaust so it didn't pass under the tank, even if its a jury rig job just for the test using flexiple exhaust pipe.

Hope all goes well with the test, let me know how you get on and good luck.

John

Comment

Plan b for the seat belts will be to fit standard ones. Seems a huge waste of money though...

The heat shield is more or less the size of the tank and will cover its full width and length. I plan to add two drainage holes on either side so any spilt fuel will drain away from the exhaust. I will post some photos soon.

For the external sharp edges I think I may create a bead of flexible filler suitably radiused. (I can sand it off later, but since it is bonded to the edge I would argue it is permanent rather than Titanfast edging just stuck on.)

I've already put a panel under the passanger's side of the dash to cover the wiring, fusebox and relays. I could do the same on the driver's side.

Comment

I've already posted this in the Sportster forum, but it bears repeating here for all cars that'll be having an IVA.

Complete kit-car have made their recent IVA articles along with an examination of an actual IVA test available on line for free. You can find it here:

http://www.completekitcar.co.uk/svatoiva.html

Comment

Working...
                              X