HIF 6 SU carburettor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HIF 6 SU carburettor

I have just purchased a Marlin with a 1800cc B series engine and twin su carbs [worn]. I intend to use the car for pct's and classic trials. I do not like twin carbs and I am considering fitting an HIF type carburettor to a standard manifold.
    What car will provide a suitable carburettor? Any advice or better suggestions please.
    thanks

Re: HIF 6 SU carburettor

Nothing wrong with a single carb Roger...apart from the fact that the combined cast-iron exhaust/inlet manifold standard on single-carb Marinas strangles the wotsits out of the engine. I looked at keeping a single HS6 and getting a better exhaust manifold...all perfectly feasible (MGB standard exhaust manifold is good, tubular extractor even better) but I couldn't find a decent inlet manifold for a single HS6 until I emailed Maniflow. It's not on their website but they do make such a beast, for about ?140 plus the dreaded.

I think the later 1.8/1.7 Marina/Ital came with a HIF6, plus various other BL rotboxes (later TR7, Princess, Ambassador and no doubt numerous others).

I think for your purposes a single with decent manifolds should work admirably...good luck!
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Roger,
      If you ask me you can't beat a dellorto DHLA or Weber DCOE for outright power / torque. I ran a 1300 A series in my Marlin before changing to a Fiat twin Cam and I tried larger SU (single) and twin SU (nightmare to balalnce) before going to a dellorto dhla 40. My brother ran an MGB for a while which he swapped out the twin SU for a single Dellorto DHLA 45 which made a huge difference. Unfortunately, with the Marlin you will probably need to modify the bodywork to make them fit and change / mod the exhaust manifold (unless you alredy have seperate inlet and exhaust).
      There is currently an inlet on ebay which would be perfect for this mod, made by Lynx(one of the best). Follow this link :
      http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=72205&item =7938163174&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
      Dellorto and weber carbs are always on ebay at good prices. Single 45's go for about ?100.
      Hope this helps.
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
      - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

There are at least two regularly-trialling 1800 B-Series Marlins with single SUs (I'm not sure what type) and both owners swear that they work MUCH better than any other carb set-up they've tried for trialling ... and I know at least two other competitors who've tried DCOEs and gone back a twin SU set up.

Comment

When I find an interesting site I tend to bookmark it, unfortunately I now have hundreds of links stored

This might be of interest : http://www.ph.utexas.edu/~yue/MGBcarbs/MGBcarbs.html

but www.mgcars.org might be better - register and search the archive of the bbs which has so many answers to these sorts of questions

Comment

Working...
          X