• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wheels!! Help

finally works!

Comment

OK Olly,
      Hope you are ready for this. These are weller 8 spokes and in the 80's you could get these made to any size and offset you liked. So, this is what I suggest you do. The critical dimension is the distance between the inside wheel rim and the suspension upright. This should be about 5mm. Remove the wheel and place a straight edge on the face of the hub and measure the distance to the upright at a point 7.5 inch from the hub centre (this is half of the 15 inch diam wheel). This will give you the distance you need to measure on any new wheel from the mounting face to the inner rim. Remember, that a 6j (6 inch) wheel is actually about 7 inches wide. This is because wheel width is measured using the inside edge where the tire bead sits. Knowing this measured dimension you can work backwards to get the offset you require. If you wish to talk through this then email your phone number to me at jon-anna(at)blueyonder.co.uk. I would love to know what hubs you have which gives you a 100mm PCD. Can you take off the wheel and post a picture of the hub. There is a small chance that someone has fitted modified hubs from a morris minor tuning company as they used marina uprights with caliper and disc brakes as an upgrade but modified the hub PCD to accept the standard minor wheels.
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
      - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Hi Olly,
        Me again. just a thought that might help. Can you measure the PCD of the back wheels. If this is also 100mm then do you have a marina back axle?? What engine do you have. Some owners fitted Fiat twin cam engines and then also used the fiat axle. I think these had 108mm PCD though so still confused.
        Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
        - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Hi Jon,

thanks for that and i will post the picture of the hub tomorrow. what you said about measuring from the hub face to the suspension arm is a really good idea and this means any wheel could fit providing the measurement fits. good thinking!! thank you.

what an idiot, i got a mate to measure the pcd for me but he has got it wrong. it is like you said 95mm ish.

is this good or bad for me finding wheels that'l fit??

sorry for the mix up. these are the same front and back.

help again!!

olly

Comment

i have just got a set and the ones on the car might be up for grabs. interested?

Comment

Olly,
              For a cheap set of wheels then check these out on ebay.
              http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Montego-MG-Alloy-Wheels_W0QQitemZ270383190494QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Rims_Car_Wheels_ET?hash= item270383190494&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trk parms=72:1683|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1 |294:50

These will need spacers and probably longer studs and you will need the correct nuts. Ask the seller if they are 6j as the montego and maestro had the same looking wheels except the montego had 6j and the maestro had 5.5j.

Comment

thanks jon will have a look at them in a min..

Nigel could you post a picture on here please mate?? very interested. where did you get your new ones??

thanks

olly

Comment

not a problem. i modify lots of cars and have had this one for a month now. just about to get it on the road (next saturday) i have got hold of some tws alloys from a polo of all things should be the right pcd eg 100mm or 4" off set might be slightly wrong but (i think) they are going to be OK. the one on the car are ok i just want an up dated look. i will post a picture there are 5, 3 with good tyres 2 need replacing (side wall cracking) the wheels them selfs are ok and need a polish and clean up. i am based in dartford so not to far away. can let you know tomorrow evening if the ones i brought fit!!

Comment

Useful explanation of 'offset' and how to measure it on your existing wheel:

http://www.minilite.co.uk/technical.htm

They also mention that the wheels they get are straight from the foundry and can be machined down to any offset needed. If the info on this site is correct, the wheels from a number of other cars - TR7, MGTF, etc - will also have the same PCD (don't know about the offset, tho'):

http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/archive/index.php/t-539.html

On the Minilite site, perhaps you could explore getting a quote for 15" TR7 wheels (provided, of course, they'll fit - I'm sure they'll advise you; they seem clued up.)

Comment

Jeepers - I even left a line space between my text and the links!!! How are you meant to leave a 'clear' link?!!

Olly, you may have to just type it into your URL thingy...

Comment

Comment

Comment

http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/archive/index.php/t-539.html

Comment

Ok, the first - Minilite - site explains offset, and you could also check out their TR7 wheels and ask them for a quote?

(Yes, the other Minilite link is the same, because I am a twit...)

The Maestro forum link talks about the PCD of these wheels. Note the comment that MGTF wheels MIGHT fit - surely there are plenty of these around, and probably some nice looking ones at that?

Ok, offset... I don't think this is QUITE as critical as it sounds. I reckon - but confirm - that a difference of up to, say, 10mm (I'm plucking figure this out of the air - no scientific basis whatsoever!!!) either way won't affect the handling of the car in any noticeable way. If your new wheels have a greater +ve offset than your existing ones, then this could be corrected using spacers, possibly requiring longer studs too. A slightly more -ve offset will make the wheels come out further which might become a problem along with the wider tyres you plan to use - ie: visible beyond the arch...

Comment

Go on - fill yer arches!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MGF-MG-TF-16-Inch-Alloy-Wheels-Tyres-Great-Condition_W0QQitemZ280342180471QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Rims_Car_Wheels_ET?ha sh=item280342180471&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_ trkparms=72%3A1689|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A131 8|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Comment

Working...
                                X