Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wings

Hi everyone as i keep going on about almost there i am about to fit the wings properly the only problem is i am not sure if the way they are now is the way they are meant to fit. They look rightish, anybody else got an opinion?

Also what has every one used for joining them i am going to use fibreglass underneath along with strips of aluminium to strengthen the joints but i am worried that if i feel the joint between the 2 with p38 or something similar all that will happen is they will flex crack and wreck my paint work?

Re: Wings

Tom,
    I think we have all used the standard build method of M6 countersunk set screws through the fibreglass running board and aluminium inner wing with a decent sized washer. One every 300mm ish is about right. However some people then went on and filled in the screw heads, but I don't think I have ever seen a mk11 roadster with the gap filled. Some of the Cabrio owners have done this so it might be a good idea to post the question on the cabrio category.....
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
    - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

tom if i am right you are re building a mk1? if so the wing joint between main body tub will undoutedly crack out should you try to fill it best bet is to use a pipe type trim between the wing and body to fill it this is normally used on stuff like morris minor or beetle wings well proven!!! as regards keeping the wing upright on the car i ditched the old inner wing mount in favour of the mk2 variety supporting the front wing under the sidelight mounting bump with a further triangulation at the point where the wing joins the rear wing also once mounted check that the wing is square on its end to the body as the mouldings are seriously suspect as regards squareness never realised untill mine was painted hope this helps greg

Comment

hi greg

cheers for the info. Yer it is a mark 1 im doing, i have got this rubber strip which will be going inbetween the side sheets and wings is this the stuff you mean? I have a similar mouting at the front with a bar that comes out and supports just behind the sidelight also one futher down near the join. what i was thinking to get some strength into that joint is to make some alumium plates up which will then be fiberglassed in.

I have the front and rear wing split and was going to try remounting them working from either end and making those new support brackets as i was not happy with the way they had been previously mounted as they put alot of strain on the front grill section and rear boot and pulled through and damaged them quite badly.

Comment

Hi Tom' Have you got a copy of the build manual if not Tiyen Miller has made them into an access file. try
          http://www.tiyen.com/moc/
          You should only need penny washers to help spread the load on the bolts that mount through the GRP.
          Dont glass or plod the joints, as Greg (thats my son!) tyhey will crack out. If at a later date you want to remove a panel you wont be able to unbolt it.
          Did you get to Stoneleigh? if so sorry I missed the chance to show round the few Mk 1 cars that made up a wonderful line up.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi ben

Cheers for posting that. Yer i did make it to stoneleigh but on the monday and not the sunday unfortunately. I did come over though and meet a few people and get some marlin goodies.
            Must admit bit gutted i missed the sunday.

Comment

Working...
            X