Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reservoir for Cooling

hi,
    Can anybody give me advise on how I should install the cooling reservoir?
    I do not have a heater nor a reservoir installed now. The radiator outlet now attached to the waterpump and the inlet to the thermostat.

The reservoir which I would like to include in the system has one inlet and one outlet. Should I include in every existing hose a 3-way and place the reservoire like this in it? or should it be done in a different way. I don't see any other possibility where I can place the reservoir...

All remarks are welcome.

By the way it is for a 1983 roadster 1.8

Thanks a lot!!

Re: Reservoir for Cooling

Pierre,

pls email.
    f.swaans <at> swaansvastgoed <dot> nl

Comment

Hi Frans,
      Did you receive my email? I've sent it last Saturday.
      thanks

Comment

Hi Pierre, this is the setup from my Roadster. It started life with the 1800 engine but now has a Fiat 2l although the cooling system has remained the same.
        Attached Files

Comment

Some more
          Attached Files

Comment

The blue top pipe is a recent addition as it was just a straight hose and i removed it from the radiator to fill it up. Now I just remove the cap on the filler. I still have the pressure cap on the overflow bottle as origionaly with the top cap unpressurised, but there is no reason the top one cannot be the pressure cap and the reservoir unpressurised.
            Hope this helps.

Comment

Hi Hugh,
              nicely done! nice pictures. The engine compartment is fully packed at your Marlin :-) I like it
              The blue hose is an excellent idea; this makes filling up much easier!
              If I understand correctly your tank is an overflow tank. Water from the radiator is transported through the red hose to the overflow tank. If pressure becomes too high in there, the red pressure cap will open and water will go out via the small white tube and then end up at the street or so.
              Can the water (ever) flow back from the overpressure tank to the radiator? I do not get this part or maybe the whole principle of that. Or is there another hose to the radiator inlet or other place? heater?
              Did you by the way connect the red hose to the overflow of the radiator? I think you have, but not sure from the photo.

What I would like to install is a tank that also is a kind of level indicator; so water going in and out of the tank; not just an overflow. Maybe yours can but I just don't get it...hope you can help me a little more.
              Thanks a lot already!

Comment

Hi Pierre, you have got it about right. The red tube goes from the overflow from the rad. to the overflow tank which is pressurised. The tank normal level is about half-full when cold. when hot any excess water flows to waste as you thought and as it cools the extra water in the tank returns to the rad.
                The reason it's like this is that origionally I didn't have the filler on the top tube so needed the pressure cap on the overflow tank. However now that the top filler is there, I could put the pressure cap on the top filler and run the overflow tube from the neck of the filler and block off the overflow pipe from the top of the rad. The overflow tank would then function as normal and still give a water level indication.
                I think that all makes sense. Hope it helps.

Comment

Excuse my ignorance, but ... why is all this necessary? I ran my B-Series Roadster without any reservoir for years without any trouble (once I'd installed a decent three-core rad).

However ... I'm dispensing with the heater as part of the ongoing trials-related rebuild (partly to save weight and partly to reduce bulkhead penetrations) and was planning to just plumb the engine and rad up with no heater hoses. I realise that this will reduce the total volume of water in the system but am I missing something more critical?

Andrew

PS - I already have an arrangment similar to Hugh's "blue pipe" with a remote pressure cap that makes filling possible without disconnecting anything.

Comment

Cos it looks pretty!

Comment

Working...
                    X