Valve spring compressor tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve spring compressor tool

Does anyone have a Valve spring compressor tool I can borrow.
    The one that you can use without removing the cylinder head. I just want to replace the stem seals.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Re: Valve spring compressor tool

Cant help with the tool but its possible to fill the bore with stout string and wind the piston up to hold the valve.
    Having removed the rocker gear make up a bar that will use a pedestal bolt as pivot with a hole drilled to match the top of the valve stem position.
    Then you can press down on the free end forcing the spring/valve cap down to remove the collets through hole in bar. Gently release and remove spring etc.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

I was planning to do the rope trick anyway as a safeguard to dropping a valve.
      I just thought the proper tool would complete the job quicker, perhaps only requiring the relavent cylinder to be at tdc without the use of the rope, than a home built tool that you describe.

I might also try the same job on a Toyota Supra straight six with 24 valves, a slightly larger project requiring cams out etc...
      MOC member since 05/97
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

I don't know whether it is too late but I recently gave one to Adrian Bull- you might like to try him

Comment

Yep I have it. Give me a bell on 07809 403112 and we can arrange a pick up point. P.S. have only just seen this so sorry for the delayed reaction. Adrian

Comment

Adrian: Thanks for offer but I should have one in my hand on Saturday.
            If it goes wrong I will call you Monday.
            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Adrian: Try me as stevejgreen at btopenworld.com
              MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Steve, find attached pic of both items, ket me know
                Attached Files

Comment

Sorry Adrian, Nice try but the same as I have already been offered and the same as what I already own. They need the head removed and I dont want to go do all that work just now.

The type I was looking for is as in the picture. You remove the rocker shaft and then do all the work whilst the head is on the car. (See picture for an example)
                  Attached Files
                  MOC member since 05/97

Comment

wow, that looks complex and expensive. Sorry I wasn't able to help. Good luck

Comment

Working...
                    X