Stainless Steel Light Covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless Steel Light Covers

A while ago Terry at Marlin Cars arranged for a small batch of stainless steel rear light covers to be made, I ordered one along with several others.

However, now I have got round to fit them the covers do not fit over the plastic light covers without compressing the rubber base gasket to the extent that the plastic lens looks like it might break. Even if fitted without damage it would be impossible to change a bulb without removing the whole light assembly.

There was a mix up on numbers and mine was one of a second batch that was made.

I have emailed Terry and while I await her reply, has anyone else had this problem?

Roger Johnson

Re: Stainless Steel Light Covers

I got a pair a couple of years ago. I have not fitted them yet as I realise they do not seem to fit. They are probably designed for the slightly different rear lights fitted to the Hunter/Cabrio. I have not got round to chasing this up yet as I have spent a huge amount of time on the new engine, gearbox and front wiring of my car! (All finished and MoTd)
    maybe soon!.....
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Hi Roger, I bought the Marlin chrome rear light covers some years ago, and quickly established that they would not fit over the original Marlin rear lights, these are the type where the rubber back piece is moulded over the lens. So I went to the nearest trailer shop and bought a pair of lights where the lens is held on by two screws. These are virtually identical, but slightly smaller, because the rubber does not extend over the lens. This reduction. then allows it to fit into the chrome cover. Brian.

Comment

Hi Rodger,
        I just finished fitting mine. Finding similar problems I slotted the back plate, slackened the two top bolt holding the lamp in place and drop it in between the rubber and the body work tighten the two bolt job done. This allows you to slacken the bolts lift it out and change a bulb as normal.The fit is not perfect but its not bad either. Lee gave me this tip and it work.
        Terry

Comment

Roger
          As instigator of Marlin making new batch I was miffed they didn’t fit, if you let weld go on one curved side they fit plus slotting holes. When fitted they look great.

Comment

Hi Guys,
            Thanks for your tips and Paul, dont worry. Roger

Comment

Working...
            X