3.5 B.M.W. engine and Suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.5 B.M.W. engine and Suspension

Hi there, has anybody fitted a 3.5 B.M.W. engine into a Berlinetta, or used the B.M.W. suspension, please get in touch if you have.
    michael.macdonald1(at)ntlworld.com

Re: 3.5 B.M.W. engine and Suspension

Hi Michael,

I have been considering a six for a while but free time has been scarce. I have done a bit of measuring and have decided that if I go ahead with the mod I will choose the small block six which will take me up to 2.5L. The 2.3 would be a nice engine to have (as I have all the BMW service manuals for this engine). The gear box and prop shaft mod would be "interesting" but not insurmountable.
    I have kept the Cortina Rear suspension albeit with the full Nylotron kit. At the front I have YKC springs and top adjustable wishbones which have changed the handling and sorted out the previous excessive negative camber. As 2005 progresses I will keep info coming through about any success I have achieved!

Cheers,
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Hi Michael,I have recently shoehorned a 6 bmw 2.5 into my LWB Cabrio.If I can be of any help re measurements,addresses or modifications etc let me know.

Comment

Hi Chris,

I am attempting a similar swap with a 2.0 or 2.3 BMW Six. I would be interested in the lemgth measurement for the 2.5 to see if it is the same as the 2.3. The length from front of the crankshaft or water pump pulley to the engine backplate would be fine. It is all very critical in the Berlinetta's engine bay.

Cheers, Dane Crosby

Comment

Hi Dane,the distance you requested is between 705 & 710 mm.For the record my engine code is M50 B25 out of a 325i 1995 with vanos variable valve timing . Vanos has added about 5mm in length on the top casing and is now only 5mm from the rad grill; but well worth it if you can find one.If you are ever in the ZZZider county please feel free to drop in & have a look .I"ve just taken off bonnet &sides for spraying so now"s a good time to have a clear view.I"m only 3 miles off the A30 nr Chard.Cheers Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris,

The smashing VVT engine would be too tight a squeeze in my car so I will attempt the job with a 2.3!

Thanks very much for the measurements it's one of those cases where length seems to be important!

I hope to appear at Hugh's Exmoor run in May (still in Pinto Power) if I can stop my wife finding me silly jobs to do.

Cheers for now,
            Dane.

Comment

Working...
            X