Starter Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Motor

Before I take out my Inertia Starter Motor and replace it, is it possible to upgrade to a Pre-Engaged model easily?

Re: Starter Motor

Sorry forgot to say this is an 'A' series engine 1300

Comment

Adrian
      I did this on my old one -Straight swop!

Comment

Brill!! Many thanks

Comment

Er no not a straight swap. The pre engage motor engages the pinion from the other side and the lead in on the flywheel teeth will be on the wrong side. Now I'm not saying it wont work, but I swapped flywheels when I did the starter motor swap, but then I did have the engine and gearbox out at the time so it was easy.

Comment

oopps which one then, anyone else????

Comment

Don
              You may well be right on the starter ring, it wasn't something I considered when I made the change but I had no adverse effects

Comment

Hiya, can either of you guys give me the numbers on the side of your pre-engaged starter motors as the part number in the book cannot be found by anyone. The numbers I would like are on the starter motor itself not the ones on the solonoid. Many thanks. Adrian

Comment

Hi Adrian. The lead on the ring gear teeth is to help the starter pinion engage when it is already spinning, a pretty crude engineering set up but simple and cheap! As a pre-engaged system pulls the pinion into mesh before the pinion starts to rotate then as long as the pinion teeth have chamfers on both leading edges then the teeth should mesh ok.
                  My experience is only with Ford starter motors but on those the number of teeth on the pinion can vary from model to model. Bigger engines tended to have one less pinion teeth giving more mechanical advantage to the motor. Worth checking yours though before fitting. Peter.

Comment

Working...
                  X