Prop shaft tunnel and fuel pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Prop shaft tunnel and fuel pipes

Hi Cameron, my rusty Marina Marlin had the fuel line secured about every 300mm running in the top corner of the transmission tunnel, n/s, it was a 5/16 o/d steel bundy tube.

The Hybrid chassis had the fuel line secured every 100mm with rubber lined steel 'P' Clips double nutted with 6mm cap screws through the top n/s corner of the transmission tunnel. The PO had user over 70 'P' Clips and bolts to secure the pipes and wires through the tunnel. It took hours to remove them all. They were all double nutted, a nut clamping the Capscrew to the panel, then the 'P' Clip then another nut.

I think every 200 to 300mm would be plenty, depending on location and service conditions, perhaps closer at each end of the run?

The IVA manual calls for 300mm for wires and cables, makes no mention of pipes.

Here is an extract from the IVA Manual Rev. 4.

IVA Manual extract.jpg

Comment

Cheers for that, I was under the impression that the rules had changed making the spacing of pipe clips much less, that's cleared that up nicely.

Comment

Hi Cameron, Kit cars Nigel Dean does a very good article each month (IVA in detail) Sept issue is on fuel tanks Section O3A. REV 7 may have had more revisions by now.
        However, interesting ,understandable, information by Nigel who is building and putting cars through the IVA test. I think this may be of more interest to you than the route/ clipping of the fuel lines. Worth a mention all metal tanks must have an earth path, Fuel lines must be marked (fuel safe) or have proof from the manufacturer, Aero type fuel caps are IVA friendly, trap to ensure only petrol can be put into the tank and not diesel. Lots more, but I am sure you are aware of the list. However these articles are very good.
        Danny.

Comment

Working...
        X