Shortening handbrake cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shortening handbrake cables

I am building a BMW Sportster. I am having problems succesfully shortening the handbrake cables - I would be interested to know how anyone else has gone about this.

Cheers

Robin

Re: Shortening handbrake cables

Message originally posted by: Alan Hogg
    Robin
    Can I suggest that you try your local dinghy chandlers to make you new inner cables to the length you require or cut your existing ones and swage new ends. As a dinghy sailer I know that these firms have the neccessary equipment to do such a job. Pinnall and bax in Northampton spring to mind as just one firm.

Comment

Robin

I cut off the screwed adjustable end of the cables, cut a slot in them to remove the cable and soldered the shortended cable them back onto the ends.

I had quite a bit of trouble getting a clean enough surface for the solder to stick. In the end I cleaned the cable with sulphuric acid. I used lead-free plumbers solder and similar "lead free" flux. The resulting join is very strong.

I think that Marlin will also sell you a set of shortened cables - but I don't know what fittings these cables have.

Comment

Hi Jeremy
        Good idea about cutting the slot to remove the cable from the existing end - I pondered over how to do this and couldn't think of a way! I think I will try your ideal but with some silver solder (stronger than plumbers) plus the flux is more aggressive so I guess it should clean the cable a bit better.

Thanks everyone for the reply

Robin

Comment

Message originally posted by: Don Sayers
          Try soldering the part of the cable where the new join will be before you cut it (if you see what I mean) the solder then holds the strands together and you get a cleaner cut, then you can re solder the clean end into a new nipple. It is easier to shorten at he non adjuster end if at all possible. (It works with bike cables)

Comment

Cut the cables to the required length. Drill a hole down the centre of a length of threaded rod (i used M8) then insert the cable and hammer close a length of 1.5cm. This is as strong as the original cable (it is made that way) provided you hammer the closure into a preformed groove in a metal block or if you dont have one a bench vice with slightly open jaws can be used instead. I found that M8 rod fitted in the BMW handbrake lever and have heaved as hard as I can on the fitted cables without any sign of movement in the joint.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Andy Dane
              Where in Northants are you Nick? I regularly visit Daventry and am always keen on seeing other peoples builds to get ideas, more confidence etc... Thankyou to Jeremy for hosting me last night in the cold until nearly 11pm!!

Comment

Hi everyone

In the end I silver soldered the handbrake cables into the new ends. (I totally failed using the hammer and vice technique :-()

Robin

Comment

OK, have just looked at this part of my build - the Marlin supplied cables are identical to the ones still attached to the rear hubs so I think I'll try and avoid the challenge of removing them in a small garage and will just shorten them in situ. Any top tips on getting right length?

Comment

Message originally posted by: Alastair Barrie
                    Hi guys,
                    I Made a couple of new Adjusters from a piece of stainless tubing tig welded to a stainless m6 cap screw and crimped them on with 6mm cable crimpers.
                    If anyone is stuck I made a spare set that I can send out.

Comment

Just figured out the difference between the marlin cables and the BMW ones. The marlin items are the same overall length but the black plastic sheath only go a short way up the cable whereas the BMW goes nearly all the way - so I'd have to cut the BMW shroud short to get it to fit in the marlin "Y" bracket.

Comment

I am pretty sure that the cables Marlin supply are bog standard E30 handbrake cables - In fact I am 100% sure coz I messed up the set from Marlin trying to shorten them and then bought another from a BMW motor factor - they were exactly the same (even the price....)

Comment

Working...
                        X