e30 Sportster Front Suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e30 Sportster Front Suspension

I have just finished assembling the front suspension on my BMW e30 Sportster. I have noticed that the front uprights foul on the springs when turned to full lock. Have I got too much toe-in? Has anybody got any ideas or clever ways of setting the toe-in without the expensive set up tools?

Re: e30 Sportster Front Suspension

Hi Peter
    I have the same problem but I came to the conclusion that once the engine is in and the suspension is in its proper loaded position the problem will go away. I hope so anyway because this will be a definite fail by the SVA! I noticed that in some of the Marlin pics the shox are actually mounted upside down - I don't know if this is the reason for this.

Robin

Comment

Message originally posted by: Nick
      I agree with Robin. I reckon that with the shox adjusters facing inwards and the springs loaded there will be no conflict once the beast is on its wheels at ride height. Having the shox upside down makes it worse as the spring seats are then always in the same position.

Comment

Thanks Nick and Robin,
        i'll wait a see........

Comment

I have tried it and it works!!! If you turn the shocks so that the adjusters face inwards and wind up the spring seat a few turns nothing fouls even at full droop, if you excuse my terminology chaps. At least it does on mine but then they all seem to be worryingly different don't they?

Comment

Working...
          X