New boy on the block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New boy on the block

Hello all, I have recently joined the Marlin Club as I have bought a 1986 Mk 1 Roadster with the Vitesse 2Ltr engine/gearbox/axle and running gear. As an ex tradesman in mechanics abnd Paint & Body it is my winter project. I started a web site, don't we all, and hav put my photo's and lots of others on to that. www.dorsetgregg.webs.com s please view and leave a resonable comment.
    Things take a little time these days as i'm full of arthritus now.
    I down loaded the origonal publication ofthe build of this car but still have several questions, so if someone is able to help answer please email me on this means or via the website.
    Thanks. Gregg Pearson
    Attached Files

Re: New boy on the block

Hi Gregg. Welcome to the Club. Looks like an interesting project. Nice to think that when restored the Roadster will be good for another 20 years or more.
    Like the Morris Minor you have restored.
    Ben Caswell will be able to help if you have problems.
    Regards Liz

Comment

Hi Gregg, Ask away, Im sure others will have some ideas aswell so every one might learn a thing or two.
      The web site is very interesting. Ben caswell
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi Ben, and Liz and others,
        Just removing the rear half shafts and the rear spring to replace all the bushes with new PolyBush. The spring still has all its leafs but I read that some should be removed, appart from a different ride hight, WHY was this recomended ?? And the same question about the front springs as well.
        As I am in there I am fabricating a new anchor point(s) for the rear parts of a 4 point seatbelt harness. When completed I will post all the photo's on my website, this or next week. The belts and bolts are comming tomorrow I hope. I have had to make some changes to the hand brake leverage to get it to work correctly, again making the link are. I have had to do this before on Triumphs as it is no longer available and people leave it out when re-building. Those photos are on the website in the 3rd album of the Marlin.
        I am sure i'll ask lots more questions later when I get to "that" part, but thats all for now.
        Thanks Gregg

Comment

hi there,also a new member like you,isee that you were able to download a copy of the build manual,could you point me in the right direction to find this?
          regards rob

Comment

Hi rob. send me an email and I will email you the 2 PDF docs. [email protected]

gregg

Comment

some pics..

Comment

find the docs here: http://tiyen.com/moc/

Cheers,
                Ty

Comment

Hi Gregg, Ref rear spring The standard Vitesse/Herald rear spring had 11 leaves and the Marlin build manual suggests removing leaf 4 6 8 counting from the bottom. Some cars were used for a bit of trials work so some builders raised the ride by leaving the springs unmodified.It must shake your teeth like that.

For the front with a six in the car I found Spitfire Mk1-3 are the softest and compress to an acceptable ride height.
                  The hand brake needs lots of grease on the tubes and careful attention to adjusting the pull off springs that hook onto the back plate.
                  Gregg if your pics didnt stick on the forum the file is probably too big.
                  Regards Ben

Comment

Thanks Ben, begining to think that the instruction manual was not available or not read. Lots of little things not quite right. Thanks for the info reference springs and ride height. The piece missing from the hand brake is the lever arm that goes between the rear cable and the front cable, it is often left out even though the slot for the arm is actually in the side of the tunnel !!! You just make one and fit it and..... it works.......
                    Reference photo's, its my computor I think so using another one for this to see whats what.
                    Thanks Bestt Gregg

Comment

lets see if this works

Comment

now call me sad but... I just spent a few minutes reading through the build manual for these roadsters (I am building a romero) and was surprised to see that most of the diagrams find there way into the romero build manual too! And this leads me to stupid question number 135, the roadster uses a simple door catch - similar to landrovers of yesteryear? Why is this not suitable for IVA, it has a double latch after all?
                        Attached Files

Comment

A135

Hi Cameron
                          I think you will find the extra depth of the Landrover type two latch striker plate is too deep to install on the B post of a roadster unless the Romero has more room.
                          Another source may be Car builder solutions I think they do a small two stage latch.

Comment

Working...
                          X