Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marina Gearbox removal

Hi all,
    I have a roadster with the marina 1.8 gearbox. The bearings are getting noisy so I need to remove the 'box. Can the 'box be removed without taking the engine out? I didn't build the car originally, so I'm not sure. Also, does anyone know of a good company to rebuild the 'box?
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: Marina Gearbox removal

Mike

You can remove the gearbox with the engine in situation.
    You need to lift the car off the ground high enough to work under and drag out the g/box. You will need a jack under the engine sump to allow the engine to drop at the rear/bulkhead so you can remove the g/box without it fouling the bulkhead.
    Also when you lower the engine check the radiator fan and hoses are not fouling. You will also need to remove the exhaust. It would be best to also check the clutch once the g/box is out.

Comment

Hi Mike
      I think do yourself a big favour hire an engine lift and take the engine out, unless you have a pit to work in. So much easier and less back breaking remember you will have to lift the gearbox back in !!
      Bob

Comment

Fully agree with Grantham Bob...my preferred method is to lower the engine/box down onto a dolly then lift the car with the hoist and drag the dolly out. Far less risk of panel damage if the engine swings...
        Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
        Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Many thanks to both Bob's and Jez.
          I now have some options to work with. As I am dependent on my mate helping me, I will let you know how it went when he is free. Thanks again gang. Mike

Comment

Perhaps worth looking at a change of gearbox with the added joy of an overdrive. Probably the best thing you can do to a Marina based car!

I changed my box under the car. Not easy, it's heavy and alignment is the big issue with limited space.
            When separating the box from the bell housing remember that the bottom bolt, the one with a copper washer, which you only notice later, acts as an alternative oil drain hole.

I am seriously contemplating a cam swap that I beleive is possible with the engine canted at a high angle. Perhaps worth looking at at the same time.

Comment

Working...
            X