Electric fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric fuel pump

Hi everyone,My car has a marina 1.8 engine with a single 13/4 su carb. I'm thinking of replacing the manual fuel pump with an electric unit. I've owned the car for 6 months and had a lot of problems trying to make it run properly,My conclusions are that the manual pump gets to hot causing fuel vaporisation, and the air filter needs a lot of sorting. (Making a special manifold to take a K&N filter)If anyone can throw some light on the subject i would be very grateful.PS can somebody tell me where I can get a luggage rack? Many thanks Jim.

Re: Electric fuel pump

A Facet solid state electric pump is much better imo...I had trouble with the crank-driven pump...a new item just fell apart dropping the arm into the sump. The Facet is supposed to be mounted at the tank end but I found it works just as well in the engine bay...it currently hangs off the rear A series engine mount bracket.

As regards the fitting of a K&N to a 1.8 SC...Marlin used to do a kit...see attached photo (fingers crossed)...

Now I just happen to have one of these and no further use for it...its used and the filter might need re-oiling but if interested let me know jezcox<at>tesco.net.
    Attached Files
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Hi Jim, I fitted a Mini electric one about 18yrs. ago when I had a 1.8 in my roadster. Now have a 2l Fiat for the last 10yrs on the same pump with no probs. Fitted the pump at the tank with a filter between the tank and the pump as in the pic.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the prompt replies,sounds simple enough to replace the fuel pump. Jez I'm very interested in the air filter unit ,I tried your email your add' but could not send for some reason?

Comment

Jim - just swap the <at> for @...should be fine then.
          Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
          Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Hi Jim
            I fitted a Facet solid state pump to my MGB many yeas ago, to replace the unreliable Su pump. I have never had any problems with it and it supplies enough fuel to keep the 45 DCOE happy. Good Luck

Comment

Hi Jim,
              Fitted a Facet solid state pump to my Alfa engined Roadster about 12 years ago because the mechanical pump on the engine would have fouled the chassis. The pump and filter are mounted close to the tank on the bulkhead behind the seats and has behaved perfectly ever since. Oh no, what have I said?

Comment

Hi Jim.I can only echo what has already been said re.Facet pump installation/reliability. If you go down this route consider a pressure regulator as well,as you only require 3-4psi with carbs.

Comment

When swapping from mechanical to electric pumps, the blanking plate from an A series will also fit a B series so can be purchased through ebay and Mini converters.
                  It saves a few hours of metal bashing.
                  MOC member since 05/97
                  1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                  1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                  Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                  The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I fitted a Facet pump in place of the mechanical on on my Fiat 2L engine. Interested in Davids comment about a pressure reg. Is this readily available?

Comment

Hi Mike. Merlin Motorsport have a good range of regulators suitable for your application. regards

Comment

Hi Gents,
                        Apologies for dredging up an old thread and apologies if this is in the tech tips which I do not have yet. I am a newbie to Marlins and just spent the last three miles of my first marlin experience on the end of a tow rope. My fault for starting to grin too much.
                        Fuel problem somewhere, carb seems OK when it gets fuel, all fuel lines seem fairly clear but fuel does not arrive at the carb when turning over on the starter. So - fuel pump? It is a fiat 2L twin cam mechanical pump which I gather is not the most reliable in the world. Assuming this is right, can anyone suggest a pressure and flow rate for an electric pump, or better yet a Facet pump model (and regulator - do I need one?). Any help appreciated.

Comment

Hi Thomas. I had problems with vapour lock on my classic car a couple of years ago on alpine runs in the south of France. I fitted a Pacet electronic fuel pump and have never had a problem since. Look up the carb manufacturers spec to see what pressure it needs and choose pump to suit. Bought mine from Merlin Motorsport. Pacet insist that the (included) filter must be fitted between the tank and pump or the guarantee is void!

Mechanical pumps are lift type so reduce the pressure on the fuel to "suck" it up from the tank. This encourages the fuel to vapourise in the pump so none gets to the carb. They are also bolted on to a hot engine which adds to the problem. The modern unleaded fuels vapourise at a lower temperature than the old leaded fuels too. The Pacet type need to be mounted near the tank (they specify the max head allowed)so they are therefore in a cool area. They "push" the fuel up to the carb so increase the pressure on the fuel which also reduces the tendency to evaporate. Peter.

Comment

Thanks Peter. Webcon have a low pressure high flow unit set up for Webbers. Will try it and see.

Comment

I have just fitted a Facet solid state fuel pump to my 1.8TC Roadster. I bought it for approx £35 on ebay. If you look carefully, you will see that they offer a pump with an output pressure of 3.5psi which means you wont have to fit a regulator. Mine works very well but they are noisy when you switch on the ignition. They make a chattering sound. However, once you have the engine started and are on the move you will not notice. Mine is fitted under the 'rear parcel shelf' as the manufacturer states they should be fitted near the tank. They are pushers not pullers. I ran an electrical feed from a switch on the dash as a safety measure but, really speaking, you should fit an inertia switch to stop fuel pumping in the event of an accident. Tighten or renew all jubilee type fittings when you fit the pump. You will be surprised how they can suck air into the fuel system even if fuel does not leak out at the joints.
                              Last edited by Sidon; 23-11-11, 03:25 PM.
                              Roadster MKII LWB. Built 1988. Marina 1.8TC based. B Series 1950cc engine fitted with twin SU HS4 carburetors and unleaded, big valve head. 4 core Austin Maxi radiator. All Marina 1.8TC running gear including 4 speed gearbox. Minilite style 15"wheels fitted with tall tyres to increase gearing for more relaxed cruising.

Comment

Working...
                              X