Puller for Marina car halfshafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puller for Marina car halfshafts

I am trying to remove the halfshafts so that I can replace a broken diff. Despite removing the large hub nut and the 4 oil seal bolts neither half shaft will move despite me using a hub puller. Does anyone in the Slough / High Wycombe area have a strong puller that I could use to remove these stubborn shafts?

Re: Puller for Marina car halfshafts

You will probably need a slide hammer, or use spacers and a big bar over the shaft and tighten the hub nut, i gave up and fitted a dolly sprint axel in stead. good luck.

Comment

When you have your puller on and take the max pressure give it a few big smacks with a large hammer on the centre screw of the puller or get a socket to fit the puller screw and use a compressor air gun sometimes helps as the hubs are on a taper to the shaft.

Comment

If you remove the rear brake complete with the halfshaft from the axle you don't need to remove the flange from the halfshaft. Even with the halfshaft out of the car and in a press the flange is a sod to get off.

Comment

I have a friendly tyre fitter around the corner fom me. They have a lovely slide hammer that I have borrowed on occasions. It might be worth a try at yours!
          MOC member since 05/97
          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Use Hugh's method as pulling the flange off doesnt get you any where unless you want to change the bearing!
            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Adrian, if you read this, I don't know the Marina - is any of the stuff I passed on to you any good to Jonathan

Comment

Hi Jonathan, I have been away this Xmas so am only just catching up on the forum stuff. I am in High Wycombe, just down the road from you. As Keith says I have a number of tools that he passed on to me that may assist. If you want to discuss email me on adrian_j_bull(at)hotmail.com and I will give you my personal number so we can chat. Adrian

Comment

I am a little confused about what you are trying to do. You can pull the halfshafts out of the axle without detaching the hubs from the halfshafts. Mine popped out with a gentle easing from a slide hammer.

Comment

You probably wont even need a slide hammer.
                    With the car supported securely on axle stands. Remove the four back plate bolts and disconnect the hydraulic and hand brakes. The replace the wheel with a couple of nuts on only a couple of turns loosely. Then use the wheel as a slide hammer to pull the bearing out of the axle. Withdraw the half shaft carefully as the slines come past the inner oil seal thats in the axle casing. It may be prudent to examine the half shaft bearing and repack it with grease.
                    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Here's a tip from the Marina Owners Club. The rear wheel hub is trapped onto the halfshaft by the large nut securing the hub onto the tapered shaft end, to stop it spinning there is a woodruff key. Over the years the hub/halfshaft/woodruff key seize together, my last but one wheel bearing replacement needed a 50 ton press to release the hub.

However since then I have learnt that if you slacken the hub nut off by one complete turn and then drive slowly round in circles for a few minutes, the torque of the engine and the grip of the tyre on the surface will loosen the hub from the halfshaft. I have tried it and it works.

You'll still need a slide puller to get the halfshaft out, but that's relatively easy. If you're in the Bedford area I have all the kit you'll need.

Chris

Comment

Is that the Chris I know from Bedford?
                        If it is welcome to the dark side!

If nothing else the physical effort of trying to het the half shafts out will keep him warm.
                        MOC member since 05/97
                        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Hi Steve,

Yes mate the same one. Sorely tempted to get a Marina based Roadster as a project. Will join MOC in next few days, I like yours a lot when I saw it last summer.

Chris

Comment

Thanks to everyone who 'cast the scales from my eyes'
                            Both half shafts with backing plates released and the old broken diff removed.
                            Does anyone have any polite suggestions what to do with the broken diff. Shame to throw it as they aren't making them anymore. I did read the Rimmer thread a few months ago

Comment

Have you got another diff. or are you thinking of getting a TR one from Rimmers? They may give you something for it against one from them.

Comment

Working...
                              X