Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes

Message originally posted by: Glenn Page
    I think my cortina iv servo might be giving up the ghost. Is there any way that I can find out if it's the servo or the master cylinder that's causing the problem?
    Also does anyone know if there are any other Ford models that would have a compatible servo such as a Capri 2.8i.

Re: Brakes

Hi Glen

Can you describe the problem you are having, its difficult to take a view without a bit more information as to the nature of the fault.

Regards

John

Comment

Message originally posted by: Glenn
      Hi John, I've spent a bit of time replacing a rear wheel cylinder and both sets of adjuster cams. I've fitted new sets of shoes and have bled the system several time. However the brakes still seem soft and travel quite a way before they take effect. There appears to be no change whether the engine's running or not, which got me thinking that the servo's not kicking in. I've had the car for a couple of years and the brakes have never been rock hard. There's no leaking unions or pipes as far as I can see.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Malcolm Sherratt
        Glen.
        Sorry to say this but the servo will have no effect upon the pedal travel, except that it will allow you to apply more pressure to the system and therefore if anything the pedal would travel further when the servo is operating.
        To help me target the problem could you tell me:- When you press and hold the pedal does it "Creap" ie continue to move towards the floor?
        Does the pedal position alter with and without the handbrake applied?
        Cheers MalcS

Comment

Hi Glen

Its very easy to check the function of the Servo. With the engine off, pump the brake pedal several times until it goes as hard as possible, keep the pressure on the pedal and whilst doing this start the engine. If the pedal goes down under your foot you have servo assist.

I am sure the servo will be ok, without it on a servo based car the brakes do virtually nothing without the servo assistance.

After you have ruled out the servo you should try isolating bits of the system, if you have non aero flexible hoses, try clamping them off one at a time to see if this solves the problem, if it does the fault is in the brake you clamped off.

Regards

John

Comment

Hi Glen

Sorry should of added as Malc says you need to check the master cylinder for creep. To do this the engine needs to be off, apply VERY light constant pedal pressure, if there is a problem it will gradually go to the floor. The trick with this is to make sure the pedal pressure you apply is very light as if you press hard everything will appear fine even if its not.

Regards

John

Comment

Thanks John and Malc,
              I tried the test and found the servo to be working. I've replaced the master cylinder seals and bled the system and appear to have cured the problem. Thanks very much for your help. If only everyone was a Berlinetta owner the world would be a much better place!!

Comment

Working...
              X