Roadster wheels/tyres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster wheels/tyres

My Roadster is temporarily on 5 1/2J x 13 Compomotives with part worn 165 80 x 13 (thank you Franklin for selling them to me!)which have a sensible gap between the tyre and the suspension leg

I've taken off KN Diamonds with 185 70 x 13 tyres, which were EXTREMELY close to the suspension legs at the top. The tyres are scrapped and I'm refurbing the wheels, which are marked 13J but there is no mention of 5, 5 1/2, or 6 against a J. The measurement between the inside of the rims (where the tyre beads go) is 5 1/2 inches. Does this mean the wheels are 5 1/2 J ??????

Re: Roadster wheels/tyres

David, I'm on 185/70 tyre and same size wheel. I put a 1/4" spacer in from new to get some clearance. My tyres are Uniroyal Rally. If they measure 51/2 they are 51/2 J

Comment

Many thanks Hugh. I may well go for 165, or 175, because the clearance to the suspension is only about 10mm with 185, and adding a spacer might well mean longer studs.............but at least I know now that that they are 5 1/2J wheels Rgds DC

Comment

As a matter of interest David, my wheel inset is 21mm which means with my spacer it's about 15mm.I think I got that right!! My tyre is about 15mm from the suspension upright. Because my wheel nuts are located down through the wheel it uses the origional studs
        Attached Files

Comment

As ever, thanks Hugh. Just got my sand blasted KNs back, will lacquer them and then go for 165 80s...decision made !
          DC

Comment

Out of interest I measured the clearance between the tyre wall and the suspension upright on my car at c.16mm. This is with the original Marlin recommended set up of 185/70/13 tyres on 5 1/2J wheels and without spacers. Presumably, providing you have at least 'a few' mm of clearance to allow for any irregularity in the tyre wall the actual gap is not critical as nothing will change under any driving condition at the top of the wheel. If I have missed the point on this one I'm happy to be corrected.

Comment

Geoff

As you corner itis highly likely the rear spring supports will allow some lateral movement, so I would have thought you need more than just nominal clearance?
              Mike

Comment

I agree with you Geoff, as long as there is a reasonable clearance it shouldn't change as the suspension moves but I would probably aim for at least 5mm +. The problem comes with the wheels you buy. It's not always possible to get the inset required on the wheels of ones choice off the shelf and it you have to order them specially there's usually a premium and a delay, so buying the nearest and spaceing as appropriate is often the only way to go. It's not always the upright you have to consider as there can be conflicts on lock as well.

Comment

Hugh,
                  You are right, if you can't get the right offset then spacers are the answer.

Mike,
                  I also agree with your point about the rear as well. Unless you have a panhard rod fitted (I don't)or some other form of restraint as recently fitted by Mike L-S then there can be considerable lateral movement of the rear axle under cornering. In my case. some of the lateral movement is constrained by the spring clamps rubbing on the side of the floor pan where the seats are fitted - not exactly an ideal mechanical arrangement but its been like that now for over 26 years without problems.

Comment

Working...
                  X