Pinto Camshaft Wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinto Camshaft Wear

I am rebuilding a 2 litre Pinto and the camshaft has worn 0.005"(5 thou) heel to to toe measurement compared to original size .Can anyone tell me if this will affect the performance a great deal being the engine is a standard build, or is it not worth worrying about ? On the other hand if anyone has a standard camshaft in better condition they wish to sell, then please contact me,
    john(at)johnbrice.co.uk

Re: Pinto Camshaft Wear

If the wear is the same on all lobes and they are still very smooth I wouldn't be to concerned, but if only one lobe is worn and has a rough surface I think it could be starting to fail.I would make sure the camshaft lube pipe is not blocked as this would cause fast camshaft failure. But if in doubt I would fit a new camshaft.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response Bob. The wear is even on each lobe and there is no pitting.I have already bought a new lube pipe even though the old one flows oil, its not worth messing around as they are only a fiver on e bay. Thanks for your advice

John

Comment

Hi John Bob is spot on. these cams are prone to wear and 5thou seems very acceptable. More of a problem is the lubrication to them and that pipe needs renewing as a matter of course for waht it costs. See this article for some interesting tuning tips. http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/PINTO.htm

Comment

Hi Cameron / Bob,
          Certainly an interesting article by Puma, thanks for that. Have either of you had any experience of fitting a fast road cam to an otherwise standard engine, are the gains worthwhile, and do you loose low end torque, and what about fuel consumption ?

Comment

yes I used to have a capri with a fast road cam in it - kept the standard Weber too - just put bigger jets in it - petrol was cheaper then. I cant remember who it came from but I think it was a Kent. It was a long time ago! Power was rubbish until after 3000 (and a very lumpy tickover)then it hit you hard at 4 - 4500 - better than a turbo - but then that was it. If you kept it buzzing it was great. A crapi is a lot heavier than a marlin though - so easier to get going? being older and wiser I wouldnt go for anything other than a mild cam nowadays but Burtons say the 2 litre heads have massive ports to start with so good gains can be had by merely fitting a Kent FR32. Even the best standard Pinto carb a 32/36 DGAV twin choke, is enough to power the engine to 135bhp but you need to think about how the power is delivered. I would go for low end torque nowadays as I am older and much much wiser! lol

Comment

Working...
            X