Roadster Sidescreens, Doors, and Hardtops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster Sidescreens, Doors, and Hardtops

Whilst working on the Tech Tips update, I came across the following in Pitstop Feb/Mar 2001 as part of a YKC Press release

"Sidescreens are available for the Roadster, Romero and Jullietta. The Side Screens consist of a permanent quarter light and a GRP screen which plugs into the top of the door. There is a bulge just above the door to accommodate an elbow. Specially coated Lexan is used for the quarter light and the window in the GRP
    screen. Our special price is £175 including vat per pair. Long wheelbase only."

I don't recall seing any of these, does anyone still use them/have any pictures I could see ?

This then reminded me of a 1275cc A srs Red Roadster for sale in Taunton area last year with a second set of doors which were full height (ie to top of windscreen)including (I guess fixed) perspex windows. Were these doors an official Marlin part ?

Lastly, I saw Lee was selling an SWB Roadster hardtop.....were any ever made for LWB ? ANy pictures ?

Sorry to be a pain, but I have years of you guys experience to catch up on !
    Best Wishes DC [dcunn(at) btinternet.com]

Re: Roadster Sidescreens, Doors, and Hardtops

Dave
    If you log in to the 'Cars' section of the forum ,then go to roadsters, last but one image is my old roadster Q765BAU a SWB car which has the YKC sidescreens.Ykc did them firstly for the LWB version as that became the standard model, the SWB was by then special order so sidescreens for those came later. No LWB hardtops were to my knowledge made by Marlin/YKC

Comment

Many thanks Alan for the info. I have some ebay pics of Q765 and they show the screens well, now that I know what I'm looking at !
      Hope to see you at Sheldon tomorrow
      Regards
      DC

Comment

Dave, hardtops were made for lwb and swb roadsters by Tony Attwood and Chris Everall, both from Evesham. There was a feature in Pitstop at the time, and Tony had the original fitted to his Fiat powered roadster.

Comment

Thanks Danny, I've seen the Pitstop article but wondered if it was a "one off" as no further reference. Do you know if these guys are still "in the club" so to speak, I guess I could at least try the phone numbers from that Pitstop
          Rgds
          DC

Comment

Hi Dave. I'm about to embark on my next project which is to develop the 'ali' sidescreens I made several years ago. They work very well but I do miss the ability to rest my arm on the door top. So, I'm going to have a go at making a 'plug' and mold to produce a set of side screens using fibreglass. I've had some excellent advice from a chap called David Fox who is based in Bourne, Lincs and he is willing to help me make a hard-top for my LWB roadster if I have the urge to make one of those in the future. I admit I've really never played with firbreglass but I'm keen to have a go. I'll post my success or otherwise when I've made my first prototype.

Cheers Alan

Comment

Hi Alan L
              I have ali/sliding perspex screens, and miss the elbow room. I'm NOT now going to try making fibreglass screens/hardtop as they are on my list as well - I'll wait to hear how you get on!
              Do you have pics of Q765 (see above) to show the YKS design ? Maybe Alan (Derby) could help us with some ? If not I have a couple, my e adds is above
              Rgds DC

Comment

Dave. Not bothered about photos thanks; I'm keen to design my own albeit, based on the Cateram style. My current screens are also ali with sliding windows and I intend keeping that element in my design. I'll let you know how it goes but I'm stuggling with the 'Plug' making process at the moment - I'll get there.

Cheers Alan

Comment

Working...
                X