Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wind Deflector

Wind deflector
    This is not something you tie round your waist to avoid one of those socially embarrassing moments. No, this something to fit to a Berniletter. The frame is made from a steel framed folding garden chair, cut and welded back together. The mesh is fly screen mesh from your hardware shop ( 3.50 pence ) the pins that hold it onto the hood frame are engine bolts from a Maxi ( I think ) with the heads and threads cut off, and a hole drilled to take an R clip. A can of black paint ( 1.25 pence ) These cost could be reduced with a little ingenuity. If money is of no concern , a 3m length of aluminum (at) 20mm x 2mm could be used to make the frame. After these photos I raised the frame so the top was level with wind screen frame, and I found that one sheet of the fly screen was not enough to stop the wind and have ended up with three layers. It works well even at high speeds. The only thing left is to secure the mesh onto the frame using a clamp method rather than cable ties.
    Attached Files

Re: Wind Deflector

Hi Bob,
    Long time in an answere from somone but.
    I am going down simular road as wife is complaining of cold air draughts when top Marlin down.
    However have now lookedinto several and found Mazda mx5. There I have found two types fit in our Berlinetta space.
    One is a full mesh screen secured by one bolt either end, the other is a full width bar secured by two scerws either end and has a drop down fly net which reaches our floor with a pull up wind deflector to divert air. Both can be viewed on ebay under mx5 windblockers. selling around £30.00.
    Regards.

Comment

Another day with my Berly gave rise to a mod.
      The purchase and easy fit of a Mazda Mx sports car original manafactor mesh wind braker as seen for sale on Ebay.
      Just like Bobs. It fits perfectly between and on soft top hinge brackets. No drilling. Just reverse its fixing bracket and flat it.
      Easly removable and flolds flat onto hood or into rear footwell if not required. Can be left up on errcting hood as hood goes over it and then acts as a rear view mirror headlight screen. Also keeps you warmer in car, with talking a lot simpler no shouting. Stops headgear requirements also.
      Hope this mayhelp another member. Sale is Ebay about £20- 30 or new £115.
      Fred.

Comment

Further comment on above winbrake attachment.
        Note. What I fitted is an MX5 2000 yr eara. It s support and only attachment to Berliy is a flattered bracket with single fixing each side of Berly on to folding soft top hood rear single fixing bolt that suports hood to body work at hood hinge.
        20 MIN FIX,
        Can be rake adjusted or removed by single wing nut each side of screen on end of now fixed flat bracket to hood. ( these brackets come with hood.) Very neat. Works 100%.
        Hope that may advise thinkers out there.
        Fred.
        i

Comment

I've been thinking of fitting something like this to my Roadster. Any chance of the dimensions of the MX screen to see it I could shoehorn one in?

Many thanks
          Alan

Comment

Hi Alan.
            With regards size. Its: 3ft and half inch or 93mmax wide, by 1ft and half inch or 32mm high.
            The fixings are at the widest part and are single threaded bolt each end on its round frame..If brought complete a U shaped pre driled bracket x2 comes with it ,that can be cut or bent to shape.
            When errected it is a elongated "D " shape with letter D laying on its streight edge towards floor, with curved at top corners facing skywards.
            Its briliant !
            Best of luck
            Fred.

Comment

Many thanks Fred, I'll get the measure out and see if it''ll fit.

Cheers Alan

Comment

Working...
              X