Replacing wheel studs on a YKC Sierra Roadster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing wheel studs on a YKC Sierra Roadster

Has anyone done this? My front suspension geometry has changed (probably as a result of a visit to one of the many pot holes around here)and the tyre now rubs on the suspension coil. I've bought wheels spacers and extra long studs but I can't shift the old ones. Is it a matter of getting/making a special compression tool and applying heat. With all the recent talk of whacking things with a hammer I was very tempted but I assume all that would achieve is knackering the wheel bearing. Any thoughts/ideas?

Re: Replacing wheel studs on a YKC Sierra Roadster

Put plenty of body weight on the bar when trying to slacken your wheel nut and get someone to hit/smack the same socket with a large special tool called a "HAMMER" on the nut you are slackening at the same time and watch the nut come loose.

Comment

The usual way to extract wheel studs is to get the hub off the car and open the jaws of a vice just wider than the diameter of the stud head. Place the hub on the vice with stud threads pointing upwards and wack the threaded end firmly down the line of the stud and it should pop out. If this doesn't work then heat may have to be applied. Put the new studs in via the reverse method. It really is usually a simple process with no hidden tricks.If there is any reason why Sierra hubs don't react to this method then I'm sure someone will put you right. Hope this helps.
      Franklin, Leicester

Comment

issue 2: I have reread what you have put, but still using the hammer just smack the the wheel stud with a large hammer but make sure the wheel hub is solid so it does not bounce back.

Comment

My preferred method is to put a suitably-sized socket over the reverse of the stud (i.e. in the direction it will come out)and use a large vice to press out the stud. Additional leverage (if required) can be obtained with a length of scaffold tube on the vice handle...if you want to reduce the risk of deforming the thread just screw a nut on to protect the end. I've just popped out the studs on my Sprint axle using this method...no hammers were abused and no heat required.
          Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
          Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Thanks guys. I think what I am hearing is that I can't do it in situ and have got to take the hub off the car.

Comment

Now I am confused, the bloke at the local garage says you can put an old nut on each stud and hammer them out in situ. Doesn't this knacker the bearings?

Comment

they only fit in on a spline so they should come out fairly easily - try it on the car but if you feel you are giving it too much welly then use the vice method. They usually get tight because the wheel nuts pull them into the hubs but once moving they will go easily. To be honest I have done this job on lots of cars and find that a short sharp tap is usually enough. I never bother using a nut since I have always replced the studs - if you need to keep the stud then a nut is definitely the right way to go.

Comment

Working...
                X