Sierra Diff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sierra Diff

Hi John, I have had three V8 powered Cabrios over the years. Rule of thumb 4cylinder cars 3.92 Six cylinder or more then 3.62 or another. I had two cars with the 3.62 and they performed well. One had 3.92 and I had to change it. This is my own personal experience.

Comment

Hi Jonathan

May be interested, can you provide some more details on the diff, i.e. condition, rebuilt or not, 7" or 7.5" push or lobro shafts etc.. and idea of what you are looking for in terms of price, email me at originaljumboATgooglemailDOTcom

Cheers

John

Comment

Thanks Danny

From further research I now think the 3:14/3:38 may be no use.

Turns out after stripping the diff and checking the crown and pinion the existing diff I have in the Hunter is a 3:62 (strange as its an 8v 2.0 DOHC) and not a 3:92 as I assumed it would be.

So plan will be to suck it and see, though I must admit the diff I have has seen better days (lots of clonking and oil everywhere apart from inside the casing!).

cheers

John

Comment

Hi Jonathan
          If John hasn't taken you up on the 3.62 LSD, I may be interested. Let me know the details as for John. Also if the drive shafts, hubs, etc are with it, thanks. My email is dave.kitson(at)blueyonder.co.uk.
          Dave

Comment

I finally measured the one I have at 3.91667 so I put that as a 3.92 if anyone is after one.

Comment

Dear Keith
              I know your post of 14/6/2010 was a long time ago but do you recall how you came by the cabrio hard top that you mentioned? I would like to source one for mine.
              Thanks for your help
              Peter

Comment

Hello Peter,

I am sorry but I don't think I can be of much help. The hard top came with the car and I sold it separately . You could try putting a wanted ad in the clubs sale and wanted ( and perhaps in madaboutkitcars) and get it put into Pitstop as not every member is computerised.

Good Luck

Keith

Cameron - if you are reading this, I responded to this request last night but my post seems to have disappeared into the ether. I hope this one doesn't.

Comment

Thanks Keith, I will give that a go
                  Peter

Comment

Peter

Have a word with Danny Nelson. He knows how many were made (very few), and probably who currently owns them.
                    Mike

Originally posted by PeterM View Post
                    Dear Keith
                    I know your post of 14/6/2010 was a long time ago but do you recall how you came by the cabrio hard top that you mentioned? I would like to source one for mine.
                    Thanks for your help
                    Peter

Comment

Hi Peter - There were only ever a handful of hardtops sold by Marlin, and they were for the short wheelbase. They never produced one for the long wb, because sales were slow on the swb. That was probably because the softtop worked so well. If you have a lwb cabrio, you'll have to make your own! Good luck - Dave

Comment

I know where there is one and the owner may want to sell, but as Dave says they were only ever made in SWB size and did not sell well so were withdrawn. To gain the head room reqd the front had to be raised and the design was a little lacking. Best feature was the large heated rear glass. To their credit Marlin themselves did not really want to produce them, and tried to persuade buyers not to opt for the option, and dropped them after only a few went out.

Comment

Thanks Dave and Danny.
                          I will take your advice and be happy with the soft top which , as you say, works very well!

Comment

John, better late than never I did the V8 change in my YKC roadster and had similar thoughts but the diffs were either not available or very pricey so I kept my original sierra diff and increased the wheel size to 17" wheels works well!
                            YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

Hi Michael

Thanks for the late response. In the end I went with a 2.5 BMW m20, I am still in rebuild mode but have stuck with the 3.92 diff and used 60 profile 16" wheels on the basis that the size will offset the slightly higher diff ratio.

Good to hear there is another Marlin (YKC) owner in Leeds. PM me your contact details if you fancy a chat, it's always good to make local contacts.

John

Comment

Hi Michael gorgeous roadster you have, I remember it in the days at Harrogate all those years ago.
                                Regards
                                Lee

Comment

Working...
                                X