Triumph six advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triumph six advice.

I have a part built mk 1 triumph based marlin, that had a pinto motor fitted.
    I plan to try and develop it as well as i can as a trials machine, and i have decided i want to use a triumph engine and box, i have a 1600 vitese donor car i plan to fit the engine from.
    Is the 1600 6 the same weight as the 2000 and 2500 motors or is it a smaller block?
    Hp from the specs looks quite low but torque is up from the 4 cyls, and from a personal stand point i like the sound of the six, But this said is this engine a wise choice ir should i sell the old vitese and buy a scrap herald or spit 1300cc ?.

Re: Triumph six advice.

My advice is to forget about Mk1s for trials, unless you mean the very occasional PCT on a nice smooth grass surface. NO ONE, or at least no one who is even moderately successful, is using Mk1s in classic trials; everyone is using Mk2s. Please don't let me dissuade you if the main motivation in carrying out the engine swop is as an interesting engineering challenge but, as a potential trials car, forget it. Sorry!

Comment

I have no aspirations to ever be seriously competitive in trials with this car, just taking part will be reward enough for me. as i hinted in my opening post i plan to try and develop it as well as i can as a trials machine, indeed this i will do but never held much hope it could ever be truly competitive.
      I would like to use as many parts from this donor vitese as i can, the 1600cc six i am not sure about if the 1600 is the same weight exactly as a 2.5 then i may as well get a 2.5 engine. Just how do the sixes and fours compare in the mk1s, which one would be the choice of other forum members?.

Comment

To be quite honest for trialing, you are probably better off with a late 1300 four pot and late three rail gearbox. (most tuneable and strongest box).
        The sixes all come in at around the same weight, give or take a few pounds as they all use the same ish block (bloody heavy). The six cyl engine in a mark one engine bay is also quite tight to work round so could be a problem!
        the rear end would also need a good think about as the 1600 vitesse used smaller brakes and shafts than the later 2000.
        I think the best option is to use a later spit as a doner as they tended to have better and larger running gear of course this is only my opinion and any mark one making it back to the road is an achievement why not join the club and get loads more back up and technical help through the mag etc

Comment

As Triumph tech rep I cant add much to the above but I know what you mean by the sound of that six.As the holder of the Mk1 register I would be interested in the kit number that is punched into the N/S bulkhead and any pos registration. If you email me <b.caswellatvirgin.net> I can send you a drawing to help find the number.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

The Vitesse 1600 had a similar performance to the later Herald 1360 although the Herald would consume less fuel. The coil spring cluth on the 1600 Vitesse as not well considered (slipery and feeless) and the differential was not a strong as ones fitted to later Heralds and Spitfires.

It realy depends on what you want and what's available at the time. The six makes a nice noise and is smooth, yes it is a tight fit (but nothing compared to our 1.4 Corsa!). The four cylinder will give lighter steering and perhaps more pleasant handling.

Have fun!

Comment

Thanks for the advice, i decided in the end against the 6. Despite the noise i cant help but think it is just too big and numb a lump to be practical. i have just sold the vitesse complete to my cousin. the Marlin as a rear axle (not sure what triumph it is off Any advice on how to id please) and a few components already fitted, i will look around for a spitfire or herald now or parts of perhaps.

By the way the Marlin number is 1066Q71080. and has no registration documentation of any kind.

Comment

just to be technical the 1600 to the 2000cc was an increase in piston size with the stroke staying the same, and a change in carbs so no weight change, unless you decided to fit the later overdrive gearbox.The MkII 2000 engine was the best with very minor changes in head design etc. It is big, and it does fill the Marlin Mk I engine bay. So a smaller 4 cyl with better HP will always give a better power to weight ratio. As someone who ownes a tuned 13/60 Convertible Herald and now a MkI Marlin with a MkI GT6/Vitesse 2000 I look forward to meeting you all at the finish line !!!!!!! If I ever get it finished !!!! Have Fun... Gregg Pearson
                www.dorsetgregg.webs.com
                Attached Files

Comment

If your car has a live axle and two leaf springs, its a good bet its a hybrid and the axle is from a Marina, If the car is a Mk1 and has had the rear end change the axle could be off anything but assuming the stud pattern is the same as the front the the Axle will probably be from a Dolomite or Triumph 1500. Try posting a picture and someone will recognise it Im sure,
                  Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
                  X