Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: More progress on Vikki the GOOster

Originally posted by greatoldone View Post
    Thanks for the advice, Pete - I'll see what I can do to cive myself a barbed / ridged ends to those outlets. Don't want to loose any coolant!

Fitting an olive joint is a good way to achieve it.

Comment

As you know, I'm trying to fit electric power steering - just like Lee has done in his Cabrio.

I'm working on all the physical engineering - all the adaptors are done and just need welding onto the right places, and it the column should just bolt in. But I've also been researching what and how the EPAS system works - mainly as I want 'proper' speed sensitive assistance, not a box of 555 timer chips fudging the signals.

Anyway, here's all the info I've got:

There appears to be two ways this could be done on a BMW based car - via the diff speed sender or an ABS ring on one of the hubs.

Regardless of the method, it does give you the opportunity to tailor the assistance, by electronically multiplying or dividing the pulses either method sends to the EPAS ECU - basically fooling the unit into believing its going faster (or slower) than it is, and hence decreasing (or increasing) the assistance range.

The spreadsheet calculates a number of possible multipliers for either pulse source, and you can plug in your own tire & rim sizes and it'll work out the approx speeds the different levels of assistance will work till.

I'm planning on trying the ABS route first, mainly as I'm re-fitting ABS sensors for the Traction Control I'm installing - but also as there's the possibility that the 48 pulse per rev BMW ring will give a workable range of assistance out of the box with no monkeying around with the signal.

Better crack on and get the column welded up now...

Comment

Change of direction on this little project. Whilst I've done a lot of measuring to see if it would fit prior to me stripping the unit down and machining parts, I had a good go at trying different orientations of the EPAS unit last night, and have come to a disapointing conclusion. The damn thing won't fit.

Ive removed the ECU from the column, and offered it up - and initially it all looks OK. But then you realise it's going to go up several inches into the plane of the exisiting column, and that's when you see it's going to foul the side of the foot well, the pedal box or my heater box / pipes / central console.

Whilst I'm sure if I stripped an apreciable amount of the cockpit out and re-engineered the pedal box (or tried to reroute other things), it all seems a hell of a lot of effort for minimal gain. Vikki's steering is only heavy at standstill to low speed. Once you're past 5mph, it's fine.

So - no power steering for Vikki. This does mean that I have a stripped down Corsa C EPAS unit surplus to requirements, along with a genuine Vauxhall ABS amplifier and my machined adaptors. Contact me if you're interested, and we can work something out.

Now to crack on with installing my new header tank, and the traction control retrofit. At least I know that these will fit!

Comment

An update, of sorts:

Comment

Very very nice Jason I will be picking your brains about the TCU

Comment

The new header tank is in:

Ran her up to temp, so the system would pressurise - and so far, no leaks!

Comment

VIkki passes her MOT with flying colours today, so the new ECU is doing its job correctly. The trip home was pretty wet though - heavens opened half way back

Better get her taxed now, ready for stoneiegh

Comment

Taxed, Washed, Waxed and ready for Stoneleigh. See you all on Sunday!

Comment

Thank you to everyone who voted for VIkki today, giving her a totally unexpected 'double' - and for all of your compliments and kind words. Pauline and I are christening the winners tumblers with a good single malt. Cheers!! :-)

Comment

vikky looked absaloutly gorgeous

Comment

Congrats on a well deserved win - great car! Competition was hot though - are you going for a set of six glasses by winning again next year?

Comment

Working...
                        X