Fuel Pumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pumps

Hello all, After the failure of my mechanical fuel pump I'm thinking of fitting an electric one to my 1600 Pinto engined Berli. Dose anyone know what sort of fuel pressure is needed for the 32/36 weber carb, I was thinking of something like this one on EBay 400131242883. I'd be grateful for any help you can give.
    Hope to see you at the Lakes Invasion.
    Terry

Re: Fuel Pumps

Hi Terry,
    I may have a spare mechanical pump from a 2 litre Pinto which was fitted with the same carb. I'll rifle through my "toy box" and have a look!
    The ebay pump you mention would feed the 32/36 OK.
    My own opinion is that if you decide to go electric I would suggest an interrupter pump which switches off when it experiences the rise in pressure when the float valve closes in the carb. Have a look at the Burton Power site for information on these types. The Weber 32/36 does have an overflow/return which may be working hard with the flow rate from a constant running pump. Webers can suffer flooding issues occasionally.
    Remember, if you fit an electric pump, obtain a crash switch which cuts the power to the pump in the event of an accident. You should be able to pick one of these up cheaply on fleabay!
    Good luck with it.
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Hi Dane, Thanks for your help, hadn't considered the crash switch, good idea though. Thanks for the offer of the spare pump but I have one, I just thought an electric pump would prim the carb before starting after a long lay up.
      Regards
      Terry

Comment

Hi Terry, Consider this, The OHC Ford engine tends to suffer with oil delivery to the top end. A hole can block on the spraybar. Uprated spraybars were available. A clattering Cortina was quite common. When I fitted twin webbers, etc, to these engines, and they needed an electric pump and a regulator I always fitted a cut out switch via a coil wire so that I could crank the engine 5or 6 times without the engine starting to try to make sure that the oil had got to the can lobes. So after a long lay up perhaps the longer process of bringing petrol to the carbs with a mechanical pump is not a bad thing at all.
        Danny

Comment

I have a spare fulel pump from a 1600 Pinto. It's missing the little push-rod but I'm guessing you'll have that anyway. It's yours for postage if you want it.
          gary(at)woolridges.net

Comment

Originally posted by Dane_Rescueman View Post
            Hi Terry,
            I may have a spare mechanical pump from a 2 litre Pinto which was fitted with the same carb. I'll rifle through my "toy box" and have a look!
            The ebay pump you mention would feed the 32/36 OK.
            My own opinion is that if you decide to go electric I would suggest an interrupter pump which switches off when it experiences the rise in pressure when the float valve closes in the carb. Have a look at the Burton Power site for information on these types. The Weber 32/36 does have an overflow/return which may be working hard with the flow rate from a constant running pump. Webers can suffer flooding issues occasionally.
            Remember, if you fit an electric pump, obtain a crash switch which cuts the power to the pump in the event of an accident. You should be able to pick one of these up cheaply on fleabay!
            Good luck with it.
            I am running Kawasaki zzr600 bike carbs on my pinto engine, but before I fitted these. I fitted the electric pump off the same bike and ran it connected to a 32/ 36 weber,...... it has a lower pump pressure but runs a higher volume .,,,, filling the weber fuel bowl in about 1 to 2 seconds before cutting off and starting when fuel is used .I didnt known anyone who did this and wondered if it would be okay..........it was and didnt run out of fuel when pushed hard. With the bike carbs fitted it easily delivers enough fuel and I am producing over 140 bhp at the wheels

Comment

ps
              If you fit a bike pump it needs to be as low as possible and as close to the tank as possible

Comment

I've used the cube style facet pump. Be sure to get a genuine facet pump as they are worth the money. You can get them in different flow and pressure ratings...
                Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Working...
                X