Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roadster vs hunter

is the hunter a later version of the roadster
    are hunters available and what is the donor car ?

Re: roadster vs hunter

Don't mean to be rude,but the Marlin history is on the Home page of this web site, and a little searching of the forum will answer this sort of question.

Comment

and yes ..it is rude
      just remember you`ve been living with Marlins and the ins and outs of this website for years. whereas I am new to it and looking for FRIENDLY ADVISE not smart ares answers from experts in a clique

Comment

Sorry about the above reply. The Roadster was the 1st sort of Marlin built by Paul Moorhouse. Usually thought of as 2 types the Triumph and Marina bases. Although various engine/gearboxes hae been used. He then went on to build the Berlinetta, which was Cortina based apart form the last dozen or so which were Sierra based.
        The Cabrio was the last Kit Paul built and the Factory version of this was called the Hunter. These are usually LWB versions of the original Cabrio. The later ones may have BMW engine while the earlier ones are usually Ford or Rover.
        Call me if you need a longer chat.
        Cheers
        Derek

Comment

Hi Anthony
          I bought a 1998 Hunter last year, and I can confirm that it was factory-built with a 2 litre DOHC injection Ford Granada/Sierra engine.

The benefit with this version of Marlins is that it is built to a higher standard than likely with a 'home-made' kit, and the original customer can specifiy variations in seats and body colour. Mine has cream leather seats, with red carpets trimmed in cream leather, cream leather door covering, and maroon paintwork, walnut dash etc (see pic).

The original build included a brand-new engine, gearbox and other mechanicals. The factory built the car in slow stages, requesting big chunks of money for each stage over about a 4 month period. I've got all of the invoices. I would recommend that whatever car you buy, you should seek out the original invoices/build costs.

So for just less than £5k, I got a £21k car, with less than 9,000 miles on the clock (confirmed by MOT certs)! Being 12 years old, it still needed some tweaks and tucks, but that is what kit-cars are about. I had a Marlin Berlinetta before, but this was not so comfortable and needed a lot more time, cash and effort to bring it up to a reliable standard. Still a good car though.

Hope this helps in your quest.
          Cheers
          Mike

Attached Files

Comment

Mike
            I think there are many self builder who would strongly disagree with your comment about the quality of a Hunter verses self build quality. Marlin are a commercial organisation and have to build down to a price, based on commercial labour costs. Many owners build to a much higher standard because they are prepared to invest their own time at "no cost".

Comment

Yes Mike
              I take your point, and agree entirely about the hours that we are willing to plough into our cars at no cost. Following my experiences with 2 previous kits: Robin Hood Exmo and Marlin Berli, the original builders used all sorts of bodge-up methods, especially with the wiring I found. Behind the dash and tucked away elsewhere, I discovered all types of lash-ups with could have caused me trouble if I had not found them and rectified accordingly.

One particular lash-up with the Robin Hood (that I didn't discover in time) was in connection with the petrol circuitry. The wiring was really something else!!

Apparently the builder had recruited an ex-police mechanic friend to help with the build over 9 months. They had plumbed in a complete rubber petrol-pipe circuit, which got chopped by the rear suspension during my journey over a severely potholed route. Needless to say, after the AA towed me home, I re-routed same with revised plumbing. The joys of kit-cars! Still love them!

Cheers
              Mike

Comment

Hi Mike
                I guess your Hunter does not have a 'workshop Manual complete with full wiring diag like my FMB does.!!!

Comment

Hi Derek
                  You're quite right! I tried to get a manual or something from the factory, and to be honest the husband & wife team were just not interested. Even getting a page or two of useful technical info was just beyond them. So far, I have got by with the help of my friendly village garage, and sympathetic motorist shop in town.

For example, I am still unable to clearly identify the engine! Someone suggested that it was of Ford Granada origin, but 1998 for a new 2 litre DOHC 16 valve injection engine is too late, and probably goes into Mondeo territory. It has no engine number (expected to be etched on the top/front of the engine), but no joy. So I can't track it through Ford or Internet sites. My local kit-car club mates are puzzled, because a lot of the bolt-on bits are not normal either.

But never mind, all good fun!
                  Cheers
                  Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X