Wind deflector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wind deflector

I read Bob Cawte's article about the Wind Deflector he built, in the latest issue of PITSTOP. Having just returned from an excellent holiday in Northumberland and covered nearly 1500 miles in my Cabrio the only downside was that my wife found the wind blowing round her shoulders and neck when the hood was down quite a problem and suffered pain and stiffness as a result. I was wondering whether other readers had experienced similar problems and whether, like Bob Cawte, they had come up with any solutions. Scarves and fleeces are fine on cold days but when it is hot and sunny the wind/draught can still be a problem.

Re: Wind deflector

MG TF have been fitted to the Cabrio using the top of the seat belt tube to accept a mounting, these also fit under a soft top in position. I think Tim Hawkesworth has some on his Hunter, and I had one on mine.

Comment

The one I use is from the bmw mini convertable. Not the cheapest but I think its one of the best. It is not physically fixed to the car so I can use it in Berli as well as Hunter [not tried it in Sportster] It sits on top of the seat belt mounting/hood frame and is held in place by the folded hood and the hood bag. It is easily removed and folds for storage inits own snazzy bag !!

Comment

Hi Paul,
        Did an article a while ago, which was printed in Pitstop, about my own "Windstop" fitting to a Cabrio. It is fairly straightforward useing a MGF windstop. The MGF windstop is the perfect length and height for the Cabrio.I made a couple of brackets which mount on the top seat belt tube mounting. To make sure the seat belt can still swivel in its guide, the bracket sits under the head of the bolt, i.e. on top of the seat belt bracket spacing washer. These brackets then bolt onto the MGF windstop supports, all very simple and easy. I bought mine off E-bay for about £60. Have included some photos as a guide. Regards Mike.
        Attached Files

Comment

A few more pic's
          Attached Files

Comment

A quick P.S.
            You need to keep the windstop as low as possible, otherwise the roof does not clear it very easily.
            Best of luck with your project, it is really worthwhile and makes a huge difference to your comfort levels with the roof down.
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Mike, that's really helpful, especially having the pictures. Another job for the autumn/winter!

Comment

Hiya all
                Encouraged by the exchanges above, I checked out the MGF windstop, and other car options. The problem I uncovered with my Hunter is that the folded hood is really tight against the back of the seats, and it would be impossible to fit a standard windstop. The seats are leather and fairly bulky, and possibly take up the vital space required.

I even found a supplier of the mesh, and considered making my own windstop using possibly flexible copper tubing for the frame. I drew a blank on that idea, as any screen design I came up with would still conflict with the folded hood.

Has anybody else found the same problem?

Cheers
                Mike

Comment

I dont understand why MGF will not fit .I had one on a swb same seats as yours and it all fitted?
                  Regards
                  Danny.

Comment

Hi Danny
                    My hood is extremely tight against the back of the seats, so there is no daylight to squeeze in any supports or bracketry. I'll have another think about making my own.

Cheers
                    Mike

Comment

Following a forum post some time ago by Mike Woodley I have finally bought an MGF Windstop on fleabay to fit to my Cabrio (Hunter).

Initial measurements on my LWB showed that the short brackets used by Mike would position the windstop too far back and foul the hood when it was down so after much measuring some alternative brackets were made up. These extend the windstop about 5” forward of the seat belt post and position the windstop just behind the headrests when the seat is fully back. (I had Marlin move the seat runners further back when I first bought the car so it was easier to get in and out). Once in I slide the seat forward about 2”. The passenger has a footrest of my own design so their seat can stay fully back to improve driver visibility.

First trials with the windstop fitted gave less draught around the shoulders but a howling gale around the kidneys! Photo shows the gap between the bottom of the windstop and the hood bag “apron”. Mk2 mod was to put a 22mm tube across between the brackets and make two triangular brackets so the hood bag could pass over the tube and be trapped by the hood bag. Result NO gap and a really comfortable warm cockpit! By using two rubber tap washers between the windstop and the brackets the windstop can be easily moved flat for improved visibility when reversing. The hood can also be put up with the windstop in the fully “up” position.

Although the seat belt passes under the whole assembly even when the seat belt is over my shoulder the belt does somehow get above the bracket in use. Probably due to reaching up and over to pull the seat belt when fitting. Further work in progress to make a smooth guide “loop” for the seat belts which will be attached to the front bolts. Attached photos show work to date. Peter.
                      1 Parts.jpg5 OS Seat Belt Hood Bag.jpg2 First fit GAP.jpg3 OS bracket Mk2 assy.jpg4 Mk2 NO GAP.jpg

Comment

Hi,
                        I also have fitted this MG wind defector and it works quite well apart from being draughty towards the bottom of the seat.
                        Is it possible for you to post detailed measurements of the parts so we also can benefit from a draught free cockpit
                        Thanks
                        Stewart

Comment

Originally posted by stewartdjones View Post
                          Hi,
                          I also have fitted this MG wind defector and it works quite well apart from being draughty towards the bottom of the seat.
                          Is it possible for you to post detailed measurements of the parts so we also can benefit from a draught free cockpit
                          Thanks
                          Stewart
                          I may have some sketches somewhere but meantime you should be able to scale off the middle photo above which is on my LWB Hunter. Also seat type and backrest position will dictate how well it will fit, so my dimensions would not neccessarily fit another Hunter / Cabrio, even if LWB.

Since the above photos I have recently turned the triangular brackets around and added a further link and thumb nuts each side. That mod allows me to move the windstop about 2" further forward and 1" lower so when being lowered it will clear the hood when it is up and also not foul the top of the seat backrest. The windstop then lays flat on top of the rear body trim and the hood can also be folded down flat on top of it if required.
                          Working out the geometry of the fixings and raising and lowering movement is very much a trial and error process which I solved by making a 2-dimensional mock up using a porridge carton (more rigid than a pizza box!) and a couple of eyelets. I also added a popper to each side of the hood bag so the ears are held together underneath the seat belt to close off the side gaps. Peter.
                          Last edited by greyV8pete; 30-03-18, 07:57 AM. Reason: Extra sentence and rewording

Comment

Hi Pete, how did you thread the ends of the 22mm tube supporting the hood bag apron? This is something I intend to do with my wind deflector, as I too have the same gapping between the deflector and hood bag. Regards Mike Woodley.

Comment

Originally posted by mike woodley View Post
                              Hi Pete, how did you thread the ends of the 22mm tube supporting the hood bag apron? This is something I intend to do with my wind deflector, as I too have the same gapping between the deflector and hood bag. Regards Mike Woodley.

Hi Mike. I used the concept aluminium from B&Q. They do a range of plastic fittings that fit inside and those have a M6 thread in them. Peter.

Comment

Working...
                              X