Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: IVA test - failed on steering self-centring

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: IVA test - failed on steering self-centring 
    frequent forum contributor
    Hi Ian, sorry to hear you're still having problems. You should make sure your top wishbones are not on upside down. I understand that it is possible to fit them the wrong way up and it plays havoc with the geometry. I'm sure you've checked that already, so just a thought as your running out of ideas.
    Here's mine....
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/peters-bmwmarlin/1175188960/in/set-72157601555879061/

good luck,

Peter

2. #12 Re: IVA test - failed on steering self-centring 
    Have you tried some positive camber - that is the top of the wheels stick out more than the bottom. You are welcome to come and take a look at my car and take some measurements if you want. I am in Bedfordshire SG17

Robin

3. #13 Re: IVA test - failed on steering self-centring 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member jon_cox's Avatar
    Ian,
    I know this must be very frustrating for you, to get this far and then to have these problems. If the above advice does not fix the problems then I would recommend a company that I know well and would no doubt cure the problem. They are Track Developments near Castle Combe in Wiltshire. I know they are a long way from you but it would be worth it if they cured it. I used to work with one of the directors and he was a very knowledgeable chap. They have done a significant amount of rework to the suspension on the Marlin 5exi which I believe they now sell as an after market upgrade to fix all the issues with that design. Ken's car has been worked on by them so you might ask him for some feedback.
    www.trackdevelopments.co.uk
    Good luck......
    Attached Images

4. #14 Re: IVA test - failed on steering self-centring 
    frequent forum contributor greatoldone's Avatar
    Just a thought - how many packing washers do you have forward and aft of the top wishbone mounting? If you have too many to the front, that would pull the wishbone to the front of the car, making the upright more "upright". This would reduice how positive the castor angle is, which is what gives you your self centering.

I (and I bet everyone else who's steering is working) have one washer to the front, and 3/4 at the back.

5. #15 Re: IVA test - failed on steering self-centring 
    Club Member
    A big thanks for all the advice from fellow Sportster owners.The visit to see Mark at Marlin went really well and I have to say that most of the tips given went into the front end rebuild.
    The main issue seemed to be the ride height and angle of the track rods , and fitting shorter springs dropped the rods to horizontal. The track rod ends were swapped over and the upper wishbone spacers were evened out 3 per side- much to my surprise.
    Mark was meticulous in his measuring of the upper wishbone settings and ride height. We used 1 degree of neg camber and 3mm toe-in and 18.5 psi all round. After some 3 hours the car now self-centres and rides in a very controlled way-hooray!
    He also suggested not bothering with the anti-roll bar- any comments on that?
    Once again thanks for all the advice. If you know of another builder that needs the "add-ons" get pass Iva I will be glad to help. Retest on 4th Oct !
    Ian

6. #16 Re: IVA test - failed on steering self-centring 
    Ian, great news that you got it sorted but I'm kind of surprised your kit builder was not able to get it sorted for you.
    But do tell us more about what Mark did...
    You say 'front end rebuild'? Did he change anything else like wishbones, etc?
    He swapped the springs for shorter ones? Were the original springs not supplied by Mark?
    And he 'swapped over' the track rod ends? Were this fitted on the wrong sides?
    When I built my car Mark insisted that the ARB was not required and is still languishing in my lock up. The new lower wishbones don't have the mounting points so you can't even fit one!

Good luck with the SVA!!
    regards
    Peter

7. #17 Re: IVA test - failed on steering self-centring 
    Club Member
    Hi Peter,
    Thanks for the info on the anti-roll bar- mine can come off now. The term "rebuild" was to mean pull apart and check/measure/tighten so apart from the springs nothing was replaced. The spring/shocks were from Marlin, also was the faulty steering rack,but as I bought the kit as a part-build Mark was not particularly interested - not very helpful but I can see his point of view as he supplied it nearly 8 years ago.
    The builder who I paid a considerable amount of money to ready the car for IVA wanted to charge me more for all the time he spent trying to sort out- so much for recommendations! I am going my own way now but lesson learnt. Now for the 4th. Ian

8. #18 Re: IVA test - failed on steering self-centring 
    Thnaks, Ian.
    Like you, I think your builder should have sorted this out with maybe a quick phone call with Mark.
    Fingers crossed for tommorow!!!!
    ...peter

9. #19 Re: IVA test - failed on steering self-centring 
    Club Member
    Ian,
    Glad that Mark was able to sort it,Such a pity that you had to go to that length. Good Luck today
    Tim

10. #20 Re: IVA test - failed on steering self-centring 
    Club Member
    IVA PASSED at second attempt! Excellent!!
    Thanks for all the support and inspiration from fellow builders - much appreciated.
    The car now handles really nicely so now for registration and on the road.
    I now have the full "kit" to set the car up for Iva ,so if there is another builder out there who needs to set their car up , I am more than happy to help .
    Once again , thanks guys.

Best Regards , Ian